• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

Something to keep an eye on-

Ochaun Mathis will visit Oklahoma this weekend and received an offer from them earlier this month.

The word "commitment" means nothing these days. Nothing wrong with Mathis visiting OU, but he's not committed to TCU, they might as well take his name off the commitment list.

Try telling your wife or girlfriend you want to go out on a date with someone else just because you were asked and you want to see what it's like, see how committed she thinks you are.

CountryFrog

The word "commitment" means nothing these days. Nothing wrong with Mathis visiting OU, but he's not committed to TCU, they might as well take his name off the commitment list.

Try telling your wife or girlfriend you want to go out on a date with someone else just because you were asked and you want to see what it's like, see how committed she thinks you are.
So many people love to make this comparison and bash kids for their not understanding what the word "commitment" means. But these kids futures are at stake here. Each of these individual programs will be fine with or without them. It would be irresponsible for kids to NOT seriously evaluate every option they have.

If you want to make a marriage/girlfriend comparison then it's much more analogous to a king who has 85 different wives and is always on the lookout for more. The king will always find his 85 wives. Comparing it to a one on one relationship is silly, not to mention the fact that you're comparing real world family issues to a game.

Wexahu

So many people love to make this comparison and bash kids for their not understanding what the word "commitment" means. But these kids futures are at stake here. Each of these individual programs will be fine with or without them. It would be irresponsible for kids to NOT seriously evaluate every option they have.

If you want to make a marriage/girlfriend comparison then it's much more analogous to a king who has 85 different wives and is always on the lookout for more. The king will always find his 85 wives. Comparing it to a one on one relationship is silly, not to mention the fact that you're comparing real world family issues to a game.

You must have misunderstood me, my problem is not with Mathis taking a visit or looking at all his options, he's well within his right to do that. It's with the idea that he is "committed" to TCU. He's not, because he's still open to going elsewhere obviously. These commitment announcements are stupid if guys aren't committed. Before using that word we should at least understand what it means.

InstaFrog

If we don't have room, we have room.
We'll build the room, equip it with video games, and pour the driveway leading up to it....So short answer, Room Availability for 5* solids =
nodding_clint_eastwood.gif

Purp

I don't disagree that these kids need to take the time to fully evaluate these decisions, but I also agree that using the word "commit" in recruiting is to redefine the word or to at least add another meaning to the word.

None of these kids are really committed until they're signed. A more appropriate word for what's going on here is plan. These kids are planning to attend a particular school based on what they know at a given time. But for most of us plans change (not looking at you cds) slightly as conditions change.

Recruiting is a cut-throat game so commitments really can't exist until ink dries. Thinking otherwise is naive.

I'd add that the analogy to marriages isn't altogether incorrect given the divorce rate. It's not just high school kids that don't understand the meaning of commitment.

CountryFrog

You must have misunderstood me, my problem is not with Mathis taking a visit or looking at all his options, he's well within his right to do that. It's with the idea that he is "committed" to TCU. He's not, because he's still open to going elsewhere obviously. These commitment announcements are stupid if guys aren't committed. Before using that word we should at least understand what it means.
Or maybe more fans need to understand what the word "commitment" means in regards to college football recruiting. It doesn't mean they're married and it doesn't mean they're dating. It means, if signing day were today, the school they are currently committed to is most likely where they would sign. The recruits aren't the ones who decided the word "commitment" should be used, they're just using the accepted terminology.

If they didn't have hundreds of adults hounding them constantly on social media and everywhere else then maybe they wouldn't be so eager to make commitments and the choreographed announcements that go with those commitments.

Gunner

A commitment is just an indication that has meaning. Most keep their commitments. Some don't.

As Rush says, "words have meaning". You Venezuela democrats won't under that, however.

Top 7 for DaShaun White

DaShaun White named the Frogs as one of his top seven schools yesterday.

LB DaShaun White 6-1/ 210/4.56 North Richland Hills, Texas (Richland) also listed Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and UCLA as his top schools.

He recorded 130 tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, an interception and a forced fumble as a junior and was named 1st Team All-District. He and his mother, Geniva Turner visited campus on March 4 when he received his offer from the staff.

Dang, that signature picture is from when I was there, probably my Jr. Year.