• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

Yea, he's definitely over selling how good the bad teams are in the SEC. Every year there are plenty of lower tier SEC teams losing to bad teams and/or not beating any good teams in non conference. The SEC last year was pretty mediocre after Alabama. Lots of big names, big crowds, great atmospheres, but not a whole lot of great wins. I think sometimes there are people who mistake those first three things for really good football.

Not saying they are that good, just saying they are better than the other bottom feeders. Bigger, better athletes year in and year out. Better programs overall.

There are some truly crappy teams in the Big 10 and ACC and Kansas and Iowa State have been FBS level bad as of late too. It looks like they might be getting a little better but we'll see. There's nothing in the SEC that's been that level of bad for any consistent period of time.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Not saying they are that good, just saying they are better than the other bottom feeders. Bigger, better athletes year in and year out. Better programs overall.

There are some truly crappy teams in the Big 10 and ACC and Kansas and Iowa State have been FBS level bad as of late too. It looks like they might be getting a little better but we'll see. There's nothing in the SEC that's been that level of bad for any consistent period of time.
Did vandy make a bcs bowl? Kansas did. Vandy is worse than Kansas and Iowa state over the years.

Wexahu

Did vandy make a bcs bowl? Kansas did. Vandy is worse than Kansas and Iowa state over the years.

No they haven't been. Heck, they beat Georgia, Tennessee and Ole Miss just last year. If you want to play that game, South Carolina had some real good teams recently under Spurrier and Missouri won the SEC East two years in a row. Mississippi State played in a BCS Bowl three years ago. Kentucky won at Louisville last year, lost to Georgia by 3 points, and played in a Bowl game.

Heck, back when Kansas had a couple decent years 10-12 years ago Baylor was awful.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
No they haven't been. Heck, they beat Georgia, Tennessee and Ole Miss just last year. If you want to play that game, South Carolina had some real good teams recently under Spurrier and Missouri won the SEC East two years in a row. Mississippi State played in a BCS Bowl three years ago. Kentucky won at Louisville last year, lost to Georgia by 3 points, and played in a Bowl game.

Heck, back when Kansas had a couple decent years 10-12 years ago Baylor was awful.
I didn't ask about any of those other teams.

ScottPatrick

RIP Taylor Hamm....

Sucks he lost his job but the kid was such a homer but those ags loved him (or hated him):

Brian Perroni:

-Taylor has done a great job of covering A&M over the years but he called me to let me know that 247Sports and CBS have decided to go in a different direction in the market.

-From talking to people since then, I will be covering recruiting - a role that I did for a long time and that I still love to do as evidenced by my focus on finding the younger players and the sleepers. I will be much more involved in covering the everyday A&M recruiting battles now, though.

-Tarp will still be focusing heavily on the team.

-The company will be bringing on another writer in the near future as well.

I enjoyed working with Taylor the past three or four years and I definitely wish him the best of luck. You guys are free to speak your mind but I ask that any conversation about Taylor stay in this thread.

frog-hat

RIP Taylor Hamm....

Sucks he lost his job but the kid was such a homer but those ags loved him (or hated him):.

Wouldn't know the guy if he was peeing in the urinal next to me. And I'm sorry he lost his job for his wife and kids sake. But the internet Taylor Hamm was an arrogant bombastic jerk and I won't miss him.

Moose Stuff

Wouldn't know the guy if he was peeing in the urinal next to me. And I'm sorry he lost his job for his wife and kids sake. But the internet Taylor Hamm was an arrogant bombastic jerk and I won't miss him.

Completely agree. The internet version of that dude was an absolute douchy piece of [ Finebaum ].

Moose Stuff

Crootin's a little quiet these days. We in a dead period right now? Good Lord.

I see people on multiple TCU sites complaining about this. It hasn't even been two weeks since Anthony McKinney committed and he's arguably one of the more important recruits we've gotten in he last few years. And we don't really have that many slots left to fill so it's not like we're gonna be reeling kids in left and right until Feb.

netty2424

I see people on multiple TCU sites complaining about this. It hasn't even been two weeks since Anthony McKinney committed and he's arguably one of the more important recruits we've gotten in he last few years. And we don't really have that many slots left to fill so it's not like we're gonna be reeling kids in left and right until Feb.
Completely agree. That post was coming from a place where we had the Chase event that didn't happen and then some excitement built up on 247 about a "big day" coming which I perceived that to be after the mini-camp we had which resulted in zero commits.

Further, our orange friends to the south had like 4 big commits in as many days or something like that.

Plenty of time left. I get it.

McFroggin

He is certainly one of our tops recruits. No knock there.

We do have a lot of ships to go though.

jack the frog

Completely agree. That post was coming from a place where we had the Chase event that didn't happen and then some excitement built up on 247 about a "big day" coming which I perceived that to be after the mini-camp we had which resulted in zero commits.

Further, our orange friends to the south had like 4 big commits in as many days or something like that.

Plenty of time left. I get it.

I am with you. We are doing great but it just seems like for a few years we have been poised for the huge close and then we lose a few late and come up snake-eyes in regards to the "TCU in top 3" selections. I hope we swing a few top guys late this year and move in to the 10-15 ranking range rather than settle in to that 25-30 ranking range. I have an irrational perception and expectations I know. Just continue too get bigger and I will be happy.

netty2424

I am with you. We are doing great but it just seems like for a few years we have been poised for the huge close and then we lose a few late and come up snake-eyes in regards to the "TCU in top 3" selections. I hope we swing a few top guys late this year and move in to the 10-15 ranking range rather than settle in to that 25-30 ranking range. I have an irrational perception and expectations I know. Just continue too get bigger and I will be happy.
Some on here will call you entitled for expecting that high of a class.

I agree with you. We have really started to pick up momentum in recent years so just going after those big targets isn't ok anymore, it's landing them that will keep us in the elite category.

And I'm not complaining here, I'm simply setting higher expectations each year which imo are attainable for this program. There's just something in our recruiting package that's missing that has prevented us from landing the 5 star types consistently. I'm sure after we land a few, it will become a more consistent process for us, just getting there is the hard part.