• The KillerFrogs

2017 TCU Football Season Ticket Renewals

Dogfrog

Bright side to Maniac's golden horseshoe that he has stuck up his [Art Briles] is that we never have to listen to him witching about the TCU seating policies again.

Ha. Maybe Del Conte set him up. Actually good for him. I just don't get folks moving from the 50 yard line to the lower end zone for shade, friends, or family.

atofrog

Contributor
Ok, so I went through the upgrade process but decided to stick with my original seats. Do I need to submit any additional payment? The screen it took me to seems to indicate that I need to pay a $20 application fee???

Nope. You are all good. Nothing else required if you decided to stay in current location.

Thanks for your support!

Go Frogs!

tcumaniac

Yeah, maniac is a good example of a point I've made before--the "upgrade" process is all about luck.

I've been stuck in 235 low double letters for 2 years and upgraded last Wednesday. Was able to move down some but maniac has a lower row and is in a slightly better section. His account is way behind mine. But the upgrade process is all about who drops or moves and who doesn't from year to year. Congrats on the good seats maniac - it's good to know those prime seats will be filled with purple every week. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and get those armchairs further down 234 - the holy grail.

One thing to keep in mind is more priority points typically equals more loyalty (in terms of always renewing). So the better your rank the less likely anyone in front of you is moving. With post-2012-reseating adjustments, there are some good seats pretty far back in the priority points line because their recent owners dont give any other money, buy parking, or buy other season tickets, but had higher rankings in 2012 that are now getting priced out or worn out and dropping. This is allowing folks further back the PP order to luck into excellent seats as they come available, days after folks with higher ranks were unable to pick up such good seats.

The process is really structured as fairly as it can be. But I hope folks like maniac realize they have been able to skip ahead to better seats than a lot of folks with more points due to dumb luck. Something worth keeping in mind next time you complain about "people with more points" or the seating process generally. Sometimes the system glitches benefit the lower ranked.

Oh I totally completely get it. I've wondered if something like this would ever happen, but always assumed it'd be a once in a lifetime, freak of nature occurrence if it did. I guess that occurrence happened. Don't expect to be able to upgrade seats now for a longggg time.

My dad picked early Tuesday, and I ended up having WAY better options than he did! Well I didn't when my selection first started, but I did an hour after my original time slot. If I hadn't been looking at section 234 right when they were released, there's no way I would have ever gotten them.

The good news for people like you higher up on the priority list is that this scenario is likely very rare. The prior owner of my new seats must have had a desire to consolidate those seats and his other seats into a section all together. Otherwise it just makes no sense. The only seats left on the west side were nose bleed, and there were no shade seats left in the south EZ. Still weird someone with those seats would be picking then anyway. Maybe your theory is correct about people with higher points in 2012 falling off recently.

But yes. I do acknowledge how lucky I got. And I'd be pretty annoyed if I was someone like you.

tcumaniac

TCUDirtBag, if it makes you feel better, I've been religiously attending TCU home games for 25 years.

My dad has pretty high points, but not that good of seats. In the old stadium we were row 12 on the 50 yard line on the west side. When the reseating happened, even though my dad had a really high pick date, all lower west side seats between the 20s were already gone, leaving my dad with lower west side seats on the 10 yard line.

He had 3 kids in college at the time and wasn't into the idea of paying/ competing for club seats. Also, at the time, east side seats had much more of a stigma than they even have today. He could have had seats in the first couple rows of 234 or first row of 233/235, but chose those 10 yard line seats on the west side (against my suggestion).

After a year of sitting on the 10 yard line and looking at his old location full of empty seats, he said screw it, and cancelled his seats all together (this was before they decided to create the rule that allows you to pass down seats to family).

It took me three years to convince my dad (who hadn't missed a home tcu game since graduating in 1983) to finally try getting tickets again. As you can imagine, even with high enough points to be picking on last Tuesday, it's been a real struggle for him to get any decent seats.

Anyway, my point is, I very easily could/ and one could argue should be sitting with my dad in chair back seats in 234, with the opportunity to inherit them one day. Frustratingly knowing this, I don't feel as guilty lucking into seats on row J.

frognutz

TCUDirtBag, if it makes you feel better, I've been religiously attending TCU home games for 25 years.

My dad has pretty high points, but not that good of seats. In the old stadium we were row 12 on the 50 yard line on the west side. When the reseating happened, even though my dad had a really high pick date, all lower west side seats between the 20s were already gone, leaving my dad with lower west side seats on the 10 yard line.

He had 3 kids in college at the time and wasn't into the idea of paying/ competing for club seats. Also, at the time, east side seats had much more of a stigma than they even have today. He could have had seats in the first couple rows of 234 or first row of 233/235, but chose those 10 yard line seats on the west side (against my suggestion).

After a year of sitting on the 10 yard line and looking at his old location full of empty seats, he said screw it, and cancelled his seats all together (this was before they decided to create the rule that allows you to pass down seats to family).

It took me three years to convince my dad (who hadn't missed a home tcu game since graduating in 1983) to finally try getting tickets again. As you can imagine, even with high enough points to be picking on last Tuesday, it's been a real struggle for him to get any decent seats.

Anyway, my point is, I very easily could/ and one could argue should be sitting with my dad in chair back seats in 234, with the opportunity to inherit them one day. Frustratingly knowing this, I don't feel as guilty lucking into seats on row J.

Nope. Cut that ship out.

You don't get to play that wounded wronged victim of TCU ticketing anymore.

Bob Sugar

tl;dr

TCUdirtbag

I think the system is as fair as it can be. My seats in 235 are great - could be better, but they are way better than anything I'd get at an OU a UT for $375/year. Was just pointing out how quietly it can be.

ifrog

I think the system is as fair as it can be. My seats in 235 are great - could be better, but they are way better than anything I'd get at an OU a UT for $375/year. Was just pointing out how quietly it can be.
I am also in 235. I didn't upgrade this year because I have TCU fans around me. I could have moved about 4-5 rows lower but it was not worth the risk of sitting next to the enemy. Yes we are spoiled as a fan base. Just about every other venue in the B12 is more expensive with no guarantee of a seat on the 50 yard line.

tcumaniac

Not sure why people love to pile on against me and my supposed "whining."

I have very valid complaints, which if addressed, would likely benefit almost every damn person on this board.

We have a system in place that allows, incentivizes, and all but encourages fans to hoard up way more seats than they need. This creates a snowball effect that pushes everyone into worse seats and leaves us surrounded by opposing fans.

If TCU didn't incentivize people to buy extra seats just to sell on stubhub, people like TCUdirtbag would likely be sitting in chair back seats on the east side, and all of us would be surrounded by other TCU fans. Would TCU sell less season tickets? Maybe. But real TCU fans would be getting the best seats and would be sitting by each other.

Not only would this help the goodwill of our fan base, which in turn could lead to more people choosing to be season ticket holders, it would help the atmosphere of our games as well. As it stands now, Amon G Carter Stadium is far from the most intimidating place to play in the country… Frustratingly, I think this would dramatically change if real fans were getting a hold of the best seats.

Last edited:

Zubaz

Not sure why people love to pile on against me and my supposed "whining."

I have very valid complaints, which if addressed, would likely benefit almost every damn person on this board.

We have a system in place that allows, incentivizes, and all but encourages fans to hoard up way more seats than they need. This creates a snowball effect that pushes everyone into worse seats and leaves us surrounded by opposing fans.

If TCU didn't incentivize people to buy extra seats just to sell on stubhub, people like TCUdirtbag would likely be sitting in chair back seats on the east side, and all of us would be surrounded by other TCU fans. Would TCU sell less season tickets? Maybe. But real TCU fans would be getting the best seats and would be sitting by each other.

Not only would this help the goodwill of our fan base, which in turn could lead to more people choosing to be season ticket holders, it would help the atmosphere of our games as well. As it stands now, Amon G Carter Stadium is far from the most intimidating place to play in the country… Frustratingly, I think this would dramatically change if real fan were getting a hold of the best seats.
I can appreciate the thought here, but the problem I've always had with this line of thinking is that AGC was selling out with purple every week, and the re-seating interrupted that. But we know that's not the case. We've been complaining about attendance at AGC since the renaissance of TCU football began.

In 2009 and 2010, the years we were undefeated and Top 10 for most of the year, a 25 year old could flash an old student ID and pick his seat in the student section without any hassle. In the 8 years between the time I graduated and the re-seating, literally the ONLY time I had a problem getting both myself and my 60+ year old father in to the student section was the Utah game. Look at the 2006 Tech game and tell me that it's noticeably different than what we see today. It's not.

The only place that re-seating really had an impact is the lower East side. A side that is never on camera and barely anyone sees outside of those in the stadium. You can say "Yeah well the players see it", and yeah you're right that it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the biggest issue.

The reseating didn't create this environment. The size of the school and the competition around the DFW area did. The re-seating just scattershot more visiting fans in to the process (no doubt aided by the fact that those visiting fans are from bigger, more local schools than our MWC days).

tcumaniac

To continue from my former post:

Unfortunately, this is not a problem TCU will likely ever choose to address... at least not for now.

Their goal is to maximize season tickets sold. They don't give a ship about who sits in them.

I was a finance major. I get it. Running an athletic program of TCU's caliber and budget requires a lot of revenue. And I completely understand the importance of maximizing revenue. BUT, TCU needs to be very careful that they do not take their fans for granted.

TCU, your fans are much more than irrational, credit card swiping dollar signs, that will blindly keep buying season tickets year after year. People are quickly getting sick of being surrounded by oppossing fans and of seeing opposing fans sitting in much better seats than them, the loyal season ticket holder. Allow this to keep happening, especially with the kind of product we saw on the field last year, and you're going to wake up one day and wonder where all your fans went.

Zubaz

Thinking a bit more about it, I would argue that despite the "Old stadium" having more than double the amount of time, the number of great atmosphere games seems to favor the new stadium, unless I'm leaving some big ones out.

Old Stadium:
2003 Cincinnati
2003 Louisville
2008 BYU
2009 Utah
2010 Baylor

New Stadium:
2012 Opener vs. Grambling
2013 Baylor
2013 Texas (before the downpour, of course)
2014 Kansas State
2014 Oklahoma
2014 Iowa State
Might even put 2015 Baylor in here, depending on how you look at it.

tcumaniac

I can appreciate the thought here, but the problem I've always had with this line of thinking is that AGC was selling out with purple every week, and the re-seating interrupted that. But we know that's not the case. We've been complaining about attendance at AGC since the renaissance of TCU football began.

In 2009 and 2010, the years we were undefeated and Top 10 for most of the year, a 25 year old could flash an old student ID and pick his seat in the student section without any hassle. In the 8 years between the time I graduated and the re-seating, literally the ONLY time I had a problem getting both myself and my 60+ year old father in to the student section was the Utah game. Look at the 2006 Tech game and tell me that it's noticeably different than what we see today. It's not.

The only place that re-seating really had an impact is the lower East side (YOU MEANT WEST SIDE). A side that is never on camera and barely anyone sees outside of those in the stadium. You can say "Yeah well the players see it", and yeah you're right that it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the biggest issue.

The reseating didn't create this environment. The size of the school and the competition around the DFW area did. The re-seating just scattershot more visiting fans in to the process (no doubt aided by the fact that those visiting fans are from bigger, more local schools than our MWC days).

I get your point and I get how my "line of thinking" can be interpreted to imply that we were selling out the Carter every week, until the big, bad, evil reseating took place.

I acknowledge this isn't the case. And I also acknowledge that TCU faces a unique challenge being in a metroplex where school's like UT have more alumni living in DFW than we have alumni living across the world.

But I don't think enough appreciation is given to the momentum we wasted. IMO, after winning the Rose Bowl, TCU had just turned the corner as far as fan attendance goes. From the way I see it, we wasted so, so much home field advantage potential by setting up a system that spread out all the fans and left them surrounded by away fans buying seats on stubhub.

I'm not saying we'd have been selling out the stadium every week, but I do think every fan on average would have better seats, would be surrounded by other TCU fans, and that our home field advantage would be much more impactful.

tcumaniac

Thinking a bit more about it, I would argue that despite the "Old stadium" having more than double the amount of time, the number of great atmosphere games seems to favor the new stadium, unless I'm leaving some big ones out.

Old Stadium:
2003 Cincinnati
2003 Louisville
2008 BYU
2009 Utah
2010 Baylor

New Stadium:
2012 Opener vs. Grambling
2013 Baylor
2013 Texas (before the downpour, of course)
2014 Kansas State
2014 Oklahoma
2014 Iowa State
Might even put 2015 Baylor in here, depending on how you look at it.

This argument is meaningless IMO.

You can't compare a Mountain West Schedule to the Big 12.

And even still. I'd argue that the Utah game FAR surpasses any environment we've had in the new stadium.

Zubaz

1) Yes I meant west side, kicking myself for that one.
2) I don't know that we turned a corner in 2010. While the Baylor game was great, I remember the 2010 BYU and Wyoming games specifically being very sparsely attended. It's really hard to say what the impact of the Rose Bowl would have been, as we tore down the stadium immediately after that season and had the limited capacity stadium in 2011.
3) You're right that you can't compare the MWC schedule to a Big 12 one, but at the same time we played both Tech and Baylor at home during that time period. Again, both were well attended, but I'd argue they were in line with what we see today from visiting fans (especially Tech).
4) I don't know about "far surpasses". I think I'd put 2014's Kansas State game up there with 2009 Utah, but probably still a slight edge to the Utah game.