• The KillerFrogs

2017 Football season countdown thread

ScottPatrick

Two questions ...

1. What does the team do over the summer? Do they have official team workouts and practice sessions, do they have position group workouts with coaches, is it all on their own, or what?

2. Does anyone have any information on our kicker situation because we should be upgrading every position, and this one has been silent all offseason

Rules changed a few years ago to allow coaches to be more involved with summer workouts, no pads allowed so lots of 7 on 7, definitely the players work a lot together, video sessions, some playbook and lots of Coach Sommer.

Song is 100% healthy and working a lot on his game, all the kickers are. Haven't heard how David looks but heard a lot of good things about Song. Spencer Evans, the former Arlington Martin kicker, has been working out at TCU and looking for a school to transfer to but haven't heard if he has decided.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Rules changed a few years ago to allow coaches to be more involved with summer workouts, no pads allowed so lots of 7 on 7, definitely the players work a lot together, video sessions, some playbook and lots of Coach Sommer.

Song is 100% healthy and working a lot on his game, all the kickers are. Haven't heard how David looks but heard a lot of good things about Song. Spencer Evans, the former Arlington Martin kicker, has been working out at TCU and looking for a school to transfer to but haven't heard if he has decided.
So we aren't completely darned on the kicking game this year?

ScottPatrick

3. TCU: Kyle Hicks and Darius Anderson

tcu-logo.png
Hicks might be the nation’s most underrated running back from a Power 5 conference. He’s the Big 12’s top returner in all-purpose yardage per game at 114.1 per contest in 2016 and eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career last fall. Hicks rushed for 1,042 yards and 12 touchdowns on 203 attempts and posted four 100-yard games in Big 12 action. He was also a valuable weapon out of the backfield for quarterback Kenny Hill, catching 47 passes for 417 yards and two scores. Darius Anderson flashed potential by averaging 8.5 yards per carry in 2016. The sophomore is penciled in as the backup, but Shaun Nixon (a hybrid receiver/running back) and sophomore Sewo Olonilua are likely to see their share of carries.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The official TCU "countdown" that features former players needs to include Sherill Headrick. I got to meet him several times later in his life, and he was a wonderful person who had more than his share of Frog Factor. (His hands and fingers looked like a steam roller had run over them.)

"Headrick had a simple explanation for playing through the pain, The Kansas City Star reported.

“Back then, we had only 33 players on the roster,” Headrick said at the time of his induction into the Chiefs Hall of Fame. “If you got hurt, someone would take your job. I had a lot of injuries, but fortunately not any I couldn’t play with.”

He said at his Chiefs Hall of Fame induction: “I’ve been a cripple for years. People ask, would you do it again? I would have liked to have made more money, but it was the most enjoyable thing in the whole world to me. Playing with all the guys, playing in the first Super Bowl, most people don’t accomplish nearly as much in sports.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article3824180.html

And from Wiki:

"In his book "The American Football League – A Year-by-Year History, 1960–1969", Ed Gruver quotes Texans/Chiefs coach Hank Stram as saying that Headrick, who refused to wear hip pads, had the highest pain threshold [he'd] ever seen in an athlete. Headrick played with a broken neck, infected gums, and a fractured thumb. When an injury left the bone in his finger protruding from the skin, Headrick popped the bones in place without missing a play."

3. TCU: Kyle Hicks and Darius Anderson

tcu-logo.png
Hicks might be the nation’s most underrated running back from a Power 5 conference. He’s the Big 12’s top returner in all-purpose yardage per game at 114.1 per contest in 2016 and eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career last fall. Hicks rushed for 1,042 yards and 12 touchdowns on 203 attempts and posted four 100-yard games in Big 12 action. He was also a valuable weapon out of the backfield for quarterback Kenny Hill, catching 47 passes for 417 yards and two scores. Darius Anderson flashed potential by averaging 8.5 yards per carry in 2016. The sophomore is penciled in as the backup, but Shaun Nixon (a hybrid receiver/running back) and sophomore Sewo Olonilua are likely to see their share of carries.

I'm expecting a break out year from #6. We need a really good one to step up because Hicks seemed worn down by the end of 2016