• The KillerFrogs

2017 College World Series Thread

tcumaniac

I don't know if this has already been discussed (I'm sure it has), but I think it's absolutely crazy that LSU has the opportunity to win a national championship without having to face Florida's best pitcher. Granted, with quite a lot of luck, they pulled off a tremendous upset against Oregon state, but still.

Something doesn't seem right when your best player isn't even able to play in the final series, and it has nothing to do with injury.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I don't know if this has already been discussed (I'm sure it has), but I think it's absolutely crazy that LSU has the opportunity to win a national championship without having to face Florida's best pitcher. Granted, with quite a lot of luck, they pulled off a tremendous upset against Oregon state, but still.

Something doesn't seem right when your best player isn't even able to play in the final series, and it has nothing to do with injury.
Luck of the draw. If they beat us Friday then he gets to go.

Armadillo

It's been discussed. And frankly Florida didn't get to face our best player either. They really didn't get to face our 2 best players to be honest. (Draw your own conclusions)

But Maniac, Schloss already addressed this. He said you're either playing the best team or the hottest team. Last year it was Coastal Carolina as the hottest team. This year it may be lsu. Or it may be florida.

It's not about who faced who, or who deserves this or that. It's all about who survives a double elimination format.

I get the umpiring was bad. I get we lost LB 6 weeks ago. I get every slight. But we lost night fair and square.

Maniac you say something doesn't seem right (see your quote above). That's life.

Edit: not trying to attack you. But hope you understand.

tcumaniac

Also. Finally made it back to Fort Worth. Left for Omaha at 2:30am yesterday, and made it back a few minutes ago. 20 hours in a car to watch TCU lose in that fashion certainly wasn't the most enjoyable experience ever.

For those that didn't make it, Omaha definitely felt different at this stage of the tournament. I'd only ever been before during the opening weekend, and the experience is much more "magical" and special during the opening weekend. Definitely felt like the town was missing the "buzz" and excitement I experienced last time I went to Omaha.

At this point, a lot of fan bases had gone home, and it seems the town may have been a little burnt out too. I was excited to shop for some cool CWS gear, but most of the shops had extremely low inventory available. The outcome of our game certainly didn't help the overall experience either.

If you're ever wanting to experience the thrill of Omaha, opening weekend is the time to go.

Other notes:
- LSU led the way as far as fan support goes. I felt like TCU was easily second, followed by a respectable amount of Oregon State fans. It felt like Floridia barely had anyone there.
- Omaha locals always seem to be big fans of the frogs. You can pretty easily tell "locals" apart from actual tcu fans, because they'll be walking around in casual street clothes with a subtle TCU hat on.... walking around town, I go lots of "go frogs" from locals wishing us luck and saying we were their favorite team.
From asking around, it seems like they really like and respect coach Schloss and enjoy the kind of teams we put on the field. I think they've also enjoyed our fan base. Texas is their most hated school, and as a whole, it doesn't seem like they're too fond of any of the SEC schools or longer standing big 12 schools, which makes sense considering most locals are probably corn husker fans.
- There was a pretty respectable group of tcu fans at the game last night that tried their best to help give the frogs some energy, but every potential rally where you felt like the crowd was just on the verge of getting crazy, obviously would end in quiet disappointment.

flyfishingfrog

I think opening weekend is easiest for new CWS attendees because it is more structured - you know you are playing two games and in what two days

And with all 8 teams still in it - it has a buzz everywhere in town and all the tents are full of stuff

However - because of that it is by far the most expensive and logistically challenged time to attend.

Flights are full or expensive, hotels are $500 when they are normally $120

Game tickets are hard to get if you want the "right section" or expensive

But you are guaranteed a good time and a lot of baseball and other events around the CWS.

Later in the week things are calmer, the team and fans schedules are slower, and flights, hotels and tickets get somewhat cheaper - but you risk not getting to see games if we go home before you can arrive and you have to be able to go 1 day at a time if we get in the losers bracket - which can be stressful in and of itself.

I go each year from day 1 and stay until we go home - and to be honest I prefer the days and games later in the week but then I have enough CWS stuff from the previous visits and really just go to support our team and watch some amazing baseball- which I think gets better as the week goes on even if there is less of it being played.

Last edited:
From TexAgs. There is so much wrong with this.

"We share a common culture in the SEC. Not so with the Big 12, and tu made it intolerable. Now we have natural rivalries developing with schools we have a mutual respect for. It's therefore easier to pull for them, and vice versa."

Darn the Aggies (swimmerbabe excluded, and I know she isn't one).

swimmerbabe11

From TexAgs. There is so much wrong with this.

"We share a common culture in the SEC. Not so with the Big 12, and tu made it intolerable. Now we have natural rivalries developing with schools we have a mutual respect for. It's therefore easier to pull for them, and vice versa."

Darn the Aggies (swimmerbabe excluded, and I know she isn't one).

I dont understand why so many of y'all lurk their board.

I think it is wierd. I like Kstate, Kansas, and West Virginia. I loathe baylor and Tech. I don't like Texas, but whatever. OU is a bunch of land thieves. OSU is fine. I don't want to like them and I don't feel like I get a consolation prize when they win except to tell other conferences to shove it.

The only likeable schools in the SEC are A&M (i know, I know), Auburn, and Vanderbilt. I like Ole Miss, but can't take them seriously as humans. The rest either exist and that's about it or they are awful.