• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

Pharm Frog

I know the family and Wade is not leaving, Austen is a intelligent kid (Accounting & Finance Major) and is smart enough to have a firm backup plan.

And this is the kind of stuff I really like to hear. I don't think its too much of a stretch to think that stuff like this is almost a pre-req for recruiting into the program. But I am interested in how one becomes an Accounting and Finance Major. That would seem to be at least a five year program from the one's I've reviewed recently. (not Neeley's)

One of the best moments in my academic experience is watching Drs. Vigeland and Berry get into it about Finance and Accounting. Didn't seem to me that there was much room for co-existence and certainly not a combined major. But that's been 14-15 years ago now. The debate was glorious and spanned more than a semester.

Moose Stuff

And this is the kind of stuff I really like to hear. I don't think its too much of a stretch to think that stuff like this is almost a pre-req for recruiting into the program. But I am interested in how one becomes an Accounting and Finance Major. That would seem to be at least a five year program from the one's I've reviewed recently. (not Neeley's)

One of the best moments in my academic experience is watching Drs. Vigeland and Berry get into it about Finance and Accounting. Didn't seem to me that there was much room for co-existence and certainly not a combined major. But that's been 14-15 years ago now. The debate was glorious and spanned more than a semester.

Becoming known as the school whose underclassmen don't sign isn't something you want to strive for. Each individual is fully entitled to make their own decision based on what's best for them (compare Coats to Crichton and see how 2 very different decisions yielded basically the same result). Making it a prerequisite is an awful concept IMO.

Pharm Frog

Becoming known as the school whose underclassmen don't sign isn't something you want to strive for. Each individual is fully entitled to make their own decision based on what's best for them (compare Coats to Crichton and see how 2 very different decisions yielded basically the same result). Making it a prerequisite is an awful concept IMO.

The pre-reqs I was referring to is a strong academic ability/motivation and financial support (that may come from both the family and their academic pedigree for stacking). I don't see those as awful concepts at all.

Moose Stuff

The pre-reqs I was referring to is a strong academic ability/motivation and financial support (that may come from both the family and their academic pedigree for stacking). I don't see those as awful concepts at all.

Misunderstood your point. I'm certain you grasped that I wasn't calling academic motivation an awful concept.

Pharm Frog

Misunderstood your point. I'm certain you grasped that I wasn't calling academic motivation an awful concept.

Point was poorly made by me obviously. I didn't think you were calling academic prowess an awful concept but felt like I should clarify my assertion much more clearly. I am neither of blanket fan of declaring or remaining. Each student-athlete has unique circumstances that should be factored in and what a great thing to even have those options. And there's risks associated with any choice. Any attempt to receive a "promise" relative to declare or remain as a prereq for recruitment would be patently stupid for multiple reasons.

Purp

Sure to be wrong post-season projections:

Frogs as #8 seed (hosting Oral Roberts, Houston, and New Mexico) paired with Arkansas Regional (Hogs, Wright State, Oklahoma, and South Florida)

WVU emerges as a host site. Tech projected as #3 national seed (with Ag as #2 in their regional). Baylor as #2 seed in an LSU regional. UT as #3 seed in Tuscon regional.

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/postseason-field-64-april-19/
I like these projections far more than the last round of projections. I'm still not confident we'd advance out of this pairing playing the way we've been playing, but there's a part of me that feels like these guys are gradually getting it together at just the right time. Hope they prove me right this weekend.

PO Frog

I like these projections far more than the last round of projections. I'm still not confident we'd advance out of this pairing playing the way we've been playing, but there's a part of me that feels like these guys are gradually getting it together at just the right time. Hope they prove me right this weekend.

My heart is with this sentiment about getting it together in time, but my head is thinking that it seems like we are going in the other direction. Really disappointed with this group this year despite the strong record. Perhaps I was too high on our talent level.

Purp

My heart is with this sentiment about getting it together in time, but my head is thinking that it seems like we are going in the other direction. Really disappointed with this group this year despite the strong record. Perhaps I was too high on our talent level.
I'm right there with you.

Sand Frog

I'm right there with you.

Same, but I think we've all been spoiled by the last 3 years. I'd almost rather them have started like this. If they were playing at their potential to start, there's only one way to go. At least there's still hope for them to get hot at the right time of year. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

jake102

Agreed. Expected a lot more from Howard, Lodololo and Barzilli.

There are a number of guys performing below expectations and only a couple (Wade, Brown, Janczak, Wymer) playing above.

Purp

Agreed. Expected a lot more from Howard, Lodololo and Barzilli.

There are a number of guys performing below expectations and only a couple (Wade, Brown, Janczak, Wymer) playing above.
I see CW and Skoug moving solidly toward top form. CW just needs to square a couple more up and Skoug needs to cut the Ks down, but otherwise their numbers are rapidly improving. I think Watson is still a HR or two away from tearing up baseballs again and Cam has been under the radar a bit all year, but still effective. As much trouble as we've had scoring runs at times this season we've had a lot of runners on base in dangerous places. We've just lacked the crucial hit in many cases (the other cases we got picked off). I think we're a couple guys getting hot away from driving those runs in and I think the outlook for this team changes a lot if that happens.

For some reason I still think the pitching will get it together. They're just too good to not do so. Lodolo and Howard have not pitched their best games yet and I think we've still not seen their best 5 outings each on the season.

That's the optimist in me, though. The pessimist says they've worked so hard already and aren't seeing results so they're getting a little burned out and demotivated that work doesn't seem to be winning.

I'm conflicted on this team, but I still see the potential there.

flyfishingfrog

What confuses me is that at the plate, the guys seem to be pretty good at evaluating pitches and turning them into a lot of free passes - thus why we have had so many base runners.

However, we don't seem to be able to use that same pitch evaluation to actually select a pitch to hit often enough - even when all we need is contact to get it out of the infield for score a guy from third or hit something on the ground to move a runner along.

I guess I am not enough of a baseball expert to understand it, but I would think the ability to do a good job of not swinging at the wrong pitch (balls) in order to get a walk should somehow translate into also being able to swing and MAKE CONTACT with the right pitch when it comes.

Maybe we just aren't making good swings - which would beyond my analytical capability.

Sand Frog

From gigem mag:

The Texas A&M baseball team continues to climb in the polls and postseason projections, and better still they’re projected to avoid the TCU Horned Frogs.

is there a link to this quote? Dear Tiny Jesus, in your golden fleece diapers with your tiny, little fat balled up fists let there be a link! I love trolling aggies.