• The KillerFrogs

2016 Recruiting Update

ThisIsOurTime

Waccy Frog said:
I somehow doubt we are. SMU and now Baylor need to take risks to get players with high upside, so those seem more likely. But who knows.
In the recent past for big receivers, we just took a JUCO guy (Williams) and Josh Doctson was a transfer as well so the years thing shouldn't be as big of an issue if they feel the talent is there. Plus, we have not secured any big receivers for 2017 recruiting and Manning seems less likely than he was a few months ago. So I think TCU may very well be interested depending on how things went at Cal.

Punter1

Waccy Frog said:
I somehow doubt we are. SMU and now Baylor need to take risks to get players with high upside, so those seem more likely. But who knows.
Yea...but why would you go to either place if you are him??? He can go anywhere. Baylor won't have a QB next year and will be lucky to have a university, much less a competent coach to come take over that mess.

He's going to a place with a good QB, WR friendly system and stable coaching staff. I think its probably us or either Oklahoma school. Maybe Aggie.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Waccy Frog said:
He already burned his redshirt. So by the time he sits out the coming season, he'll have not played in 2 years and will have 3 years to play 3.

Clearly not a great decision to head out there.
It sounds like things have changed since he went out there, especially as it pertains to his grandfather and whatnot.

Cal is a beautiful campus with good football and stellar academics. I'm not criticizing any kid who chose Cal.

talor

ThisIsOurTime said:
In the recent past for big receivers, we just took a JUCO guy (Williams) and Josh Doctson was a transfer as well so the years thing shouldn't be as big of an issue if they feel the talent is there. Plus, we have not secured any big receivers for 2017 recruiting and Manning seems less likely than he was a few months ago. So I think TCU may very well be interested depending on how things went at Cal.
It's odd but I've noticed a strong trend the last 5-7 years of Skyline players underperforming their lofty recruiting rankings.

Waccy Frog

Talor said:
It's odd but I've noticed a strong trend the last 5-7 years of Skyline players underperforming their lofty recruiting rankings.
This is probably more my point. Just not sure this guy has "future success story" written all over him. As noted earlier, he's the one that got down to us and Tech, came to the game where we thrashed them by 60 points, then announced for Tech. Then decommitted and ended up redshirting at Cal, then decides to transfer late....

I mean if the coaches want him that's fine with me. I'm just guessing he goes somewhere that needs to roll the dice on players like this.

DaCrief

Waccy Frog said:
This is probably more my point. Just not sure this guy has "future success story" written all over him. As noted earlier, he's the one that got down to us and Tech, came to the game where we thrashed them by 60 points, then announced for Tech. Then decommitted and ended up redshirting at Cal, then decides to transfer late....

I mean if the coaches want him that's fine with me. I'm just guessing he goes somewhere that needs to roll the dice on players like this.
Well-reasoned point. Let's see

orrwasright

ThisIsOurTime said:

If I am not mistaken Doctson was not only a transfer, but walked-on at TCU with no promise of scholarship. Taj Williams was listed by some services as the top JUCO receiver available last year and Ryan Parker was a prior Frogs signee who just happened to be a freak show athlete.

TCU has  a smaller number of scholarships for 2107 and while they don't have a "bigger" receiver committed for 2017 it isn't exactly a need based upon the current roster.

Porter is 6'3" and a jr. as is Williams.  Jaelen Austin is listed at 6'2" and a soph,, Trey Heights is a 6'3" red-shirt freshman and Cam Williams is right now listed at WR at 6'3". Mix in a few 6'1" receivers in Graham and Thomas and I just don't see it as an immediate need.

I would rather the Frogs roll the dice on the WR out of Corsicana or back to JUCO.

pgdaly84

Talor said:
Seems to be a trend. There's a certain 4-star OL from Skyline on our team that's yet to crack the 2-deep after 3 years.

orrwasright

pgdaly84 said:
Seems to be a trend. There's a certain 4-star OL from Skyline on our team that's yet to crack the 2-deep after 3 years.

A bit harsh on Barrett considering this is just now year three and there really isn't a two deep that matters this year until they put on the pads. 

ThisIsOurTime

orrwasright said:

If I am not mistaken Doctson was not only a transfer, but walked-on at TCU with no promise of scholarship. Taj Williams was listed by some services as the top JUCO receiver available last year and Ryan Parker was a prior Frogs signee who just happened to be a freak show athlete.

TCU has  a smaller number of scholarships for 2107 and while they don't have a "bigger" receiver committed for 2017 it isn't exactly a need based upon the current roster.

Porter is 6'3" and a jr. as is Williams.  Jaelen Austin is listed at 6'2" and a soph,, Trey Heights is a 6'3" red-shirt freshman and Cam Williams is right now listed at WR at 6'3". Mix in a few 6'1" receivers in Graham and Thomas and I just don't see it as an immediate need.

I would rather the Frogs roll the dice on the WR out of Corsicana or back to JUCO.
It doesn't look like TCU is going to pursue so you will get your wish.

However, Doctson had a scholarship at TCU because his mother worked for the school.  This was not the same as an athletic scholarship which he earned later and did have some limitations but he did not have to pay his full way.  

And it is true that Skyline does have a reputation for having players that underperform at the college level but they also have a good number that end up being productive college players even if they aren't stars.  Plus, it is a pipeline school where they are going to send players to college almost every year so it is a good one to have ties to.  We have recruited there plenty over the last several years along with just about everyone else.

Of course, there is obviously a lot of competition for the last spots of the 2017 class and they may very well feel some needs are higher at this point.  Or they may feel better about other prospects like Manning. 

maximilian

ThisIsOurTime said:
Plus, we have not secured any big receivers for 2017 recruiting and Manning seems less likely than he was a few months ago. So I think TCU may very well be interested depending on how things went at Cal.
RJ Sneed?

Waccy Frog

ThisIsOurTime said:
It doesn't look like TCU is going to pursue so you will get your wish.

However, Doctson had a scholarship at TCU because his mother worked for the school.  This was not the same as an athletic scholarship which he earned later and did have some limitations but he did not have to pay his full way.  

And it is true that Skyline does have a reputation for having players that underperform at the college level but they also have a good number that end up being productive college players even if they aren't stars.  Plus, it is a pipeline school where they are going to send players to college almost every year so it is a good one to have ties to.  We have recruited there plenty over the last several years along with just about everyone else.

Of course, there is obviously a lot of competition for the last spots of the 2017 class and they may very well feel some needs are higher at this point.  Or they may feel better about other prospects like Manning. 
I think they think he's a bust. I trust the coaches' judgment more than certain starsie obsessed posters.

asleep003

Have been curious about TyCame into camp out of shape in 2014, and have not heard a word, period, about him from staff or media since that comment. Nothing good nor bad for 2 years.... just nothing! He's just a Soph, so let's hope he finally gets mean and ugly, at 6'5 and 316, and seriously strengthens up our 2 deep OL. 

Cheers !