• The KillerFrogs

1998 Sun Bowl

Gamecock in DFW

Great thread! Keep the stories coming. Lived in El Paso for a very brief period - nice to hear they did right by y'all. The Sun Bowl itself is an underrated venue. Wish I could've seen it full.

jack the frog

No cool story here, just listened from work on the radio and just could not believe we were beating them up so badly and how excited I was. I think USC was favored by 16 points or so and had really thought we might get clobbered. Remember thinking that TCU might have something nice working for the future and might be on their way to something.

I did it

I played in that game. The team meal the night before was the best part. Almost like you could pin point tcu's football program turn a round at that exact momemt.

Dogfrog

Wife & I went out the day before and stayed at the "alumni Hotel", the Camino Real downtown. This was TCU's first bowl in a while and first bowl win in 40? Years. The big round bar in the hotel was packed with Drunk TCU blue hairs. What a great party and great to see all the long suffering fans with something to party about.

Liverlips

I played in that game. The team meal the night before was the best part. Almost like you could pin point tcu's football program turn a round at that exact momemt.
I agree with this. Was a captain for that game. So many good stories from the weeks leading up to the game itself. We knew we would win. That was the great part. Nobody thought it was possible except for the guys in that locker room

Deep Purple

That 98 Sun Bowl was the zenith of the Great TCU Football Turnaround, as I call it. Got back to my hotel that night exhausted and sunburned, but as happy as a Frog fan could be. Went into the bar for to join a purple-clad group for a celebratory drink or three. The bar was full of USC fans drowning their sorrows. They'd been pretty arrogant up to then. Now most were all humble pie, though there were still some stuck-up holdouts.

This one chick in USC garb approached our TCU group crowded at the bar and said, "You may have beat us today, but we would kill you in basketball. WE ARE... S-C!" I gave her a pitious look and said, "Our basketball team is top 25" (It was the Billy Tubbs era.) "Where's yours?" (USC was unranked.)

She turned on her heel and stalked off without another word, but we singed her backside with laughter. She threw herself into her chair and glowered at us. We loved it.

joejordan

That 98 Sun Bowl was the zenith of the Great TCU Football Turnaround, as I call it. Got back to my hotel that night exhausted and sunburned, but as happy as a Frog fan could be. Went into the bar for to join a purple-clad group for a celebratory drink or three. The bar was full of USC fans drowning their sorrows. They'd been pretty arrogant up to then. Now most were all humble pie, though there were still some stuck-up holdouts.

This one chick in USC garb approached our TCU group crowded at the bar and said, "You may have beat us today, but we would kill you in basketball. WE ARE... S-C!" I gave her a pitious look and said, "Our basketball team is top 25" (It was the Billy Tubbs era.) "Where's yours?" (USC was unranked.)

She turned on her heel and stalked off without another word, but we singed her backside with laughter. She threw herself into her chair and glowered at us. We loved it.

I think you plagiarized a Harlequin romance novel with that piece of drivel.

count_biffula

Fill us in with some details. Was it stuff being said by the coaches getting you guys going? What? Details man, details!

S3NATOR

Burned this game to a DVD and gave it to my Dad for Christmas as well as the 2009 Utah game. Needless to say his mind was blown. Probably going to watch the 98 Sun bowl tomorrow before the BWW bowl. Can't wait! Thanks for the VHS and conversion!

S3N

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
I have read this line several times, and still can't work it out, who is who?

Crunch,

Sorry my original post was confusing. 57Frog was my father. He passed away February 1, 2012. He had several TCU games on VHS tape including the Sun Bowl. Bonner4Prez (now Boykin4Prez) converted the VHS to computer video for us. Anyway, my mother gave me the VHS tapes of those games.

57Frog was a huge TCU fan and helped put me through school at TCU in the 80s. He is also Frog Brother's father. We miss him. This season was the first TCU football season without him. It wasn't quite the same. Before he passed he predicted the Frogs would win the Big 12 this year. That was before all the suspensions, etc. I'll promise you one thing, he was watching the UT game from heaven above and it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow intervened and made sure our defense didn't leave their feet when making a tackle. (Little inside family joke there).

I hope I cleared up your confusion.

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
Burned this game to a DVD and gave it to my Dad for Christmas as well as the 2009 Utah game. Needless to say his mind was blown. Probably going to watch the 98 Sun bowl tomorrow before the BWW bowl. Can't wait! Thanks for the VHS and conversion!

S3N
I'm so happy others can enjoy what my dad preserved. Awesome!

Limp Lizard

1. I have it on tape, want to play it again, want the digitized version, too.
2. Batteaux played the most perfect game I can remember a TCU QB playing. He did not have a rocket of an arm and make great throws, but they were on target and the correct decision, or have a really long run, but all his decisions were spot on. Ran the option to perfection. Main thing, he made no mistakes at all.
3. Hmmm....is that the often-bashed short-side option?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u-eXudgTMIU

I did it

Like liver lips said. We had a feeling that we were gonna win. But when Frog man came in and said they spit on the frog horn that was it. We were already motivated enough. The luncheon we had with them was full of tension. They did not respect is at all. So much so that the bowl reps openly stated they were cheering for us. Competition never hurt anybody. What they failed to realize was that Sullivan could recruit his butt off. We all had other offers and many of us were recruited by usc, despite what many on this board want to believe. Sullivan just could not control is when we got on the yard. So we had been waiting for a moment like this.