• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Who has the best coaching duo in the Big 12?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Who has the best coaching duo in the Big 12?

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Athlon Sports ranks TCU's Gary Patterson and Jamie Dixon as the best coaching duo in the Big 12.

Even without all the recent coaching turnover in the Big 12, it's hard to argue with Patterson and Dixon as the leading duo. TCU fans know that if you included baseball coaches in the rankings, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better coach than TCU's Jim Schlossnagle.

But Athlon's rankings consider only football and men's basketball. Dixon is in his second season at TCU but has already made the Horned Frogs "nationally relevant."

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article201186509.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How about a ranking of the nation's best trio of football-baseball-men's hoops coaches? No question what school wins that one is there?

Waccy Frog

Bill Self must be practically a god to haul Beatty up into the top 5.

I guess the UT coaches are being judged by the work they did at other schools...Oh, and signing day.

MTfrog5

How about a ranking of the nation's best trio of football-baseball-men's hoops coaches? No question what school wins that one is there?
I had a pretty in depth discussion about that with a buddy of mine. Lots of schools have two really good ones, but it seems pretty hard to find many with 3

McFroggin

Is there another school in the entire country that can rival TCU in that scenario?

Florida - top notch baseball program. Basketball has had some great runs in recent years. Football has been top 25 many recent years. They’ve had more coach turnovers than us, but quality is fairly high.

WhatTheFrog

Florida - top notch baseball program. Basketball has had some great runs in recent years. Football has been top 25 many recent years. They’ve had more coach turnovers than us, but quality is fairly high.
Florida is the only school that crossed my mind when I posted that, but we are talking about current coaches. We'll see what happens with Dixon in control of our basketball program, but I expect that we will be contenders on a regular basis (just like our football and baseball programs now).

GoFrog Yourself

Is there another school in the entire country that can rival TCU in that scenario?

Clemson is having recent success in basketball, and football and baseball are both competitive.

Florida state before they lost jimbo was pretty close

Depending on what skip johnson does with OU Baseball they’re one to watch

Auburn is flying under the radar in Baseball but has three pretty good coaches

UVA is just missing football success, same with UNC

WhatTheFrog

Clemson is having recent success in basketball, and football and baseball are both competitive.

I see what you're saying. We'll see how FSU pans out with a new FB coach. What I see in your list is a lot of "maybe"s. Of course, I'm jumping to conclusions with our trifecta (Dixon is only in his 2nd year), but signs point to him being successful. Recruiting is way up and he has a proven track record in what was once the premier basketball conference in the country.

I'm biased, but I truly believe that we have the best trio in the country. Not only are these coaches excellent with the product they put on the field/court/diamond, but they are quality humans outside of coaching their sport. There appears to be no compromise in quality of character with any of these coaches. I'm not so sure the same could be said about other successful coaches out there (Jimbo comes to mind).

GoFrog Yourself

I see what you're saying. We'll see how FSU pans out with a new FB coach. What I see in your list is a lot of "maybe"s. Of course, I'm jumping to conclusions with our trifecta (Dixon is only in his 2nd year), but signs point to him being successful. Recruiting is way up and he has a proven track record in what was once the premier basketball conference in the country.

I'm biased, but I truly believe that we have the best trio in the country. Not only are these coaches excellent with the product they put on the field/court/diamond, but they are quality humans outside of coaching their sport. There appears to be no compromise in quality of character with any of these coaches. I'm not so sure the same could be said about other successful coaches out there (Jimbo comes to mind).
I agree that we’re arguably the school with the best trio, and I really had to think about what other schools could compare. By far the best was Florida when Meyer, Donovan, and O’Sullivan were roaming the sidelines and dugout. You can poke holes in all the ones I posted:

Clemson has a title in football but hasn’t gone far in the dance and has only seen Omaha once this decade

FSU: football and baseball success with basketball experience in the dance, but just lost their natty winning football coach

OU has final fours in football and basketball, but haven’t been to Omaha since 2010 and Skip is brand new on the diamond

Auburn has a recent title game appearance with Gus, Bruce pearl has the basketball team in the top 10, and Baseball should be very competitive this season.

Also forgot Louisville before they lost pitino, but football hasn’t been hugely successful since their sugar bowl win over Florida (heisman not withstanding)

Eight

bruce pearl is a cheating piece of crap

TCUownstheBig12

We do: PharmFrog and TCUownstheBig12

False. We absolutely do and it’s not even close. I’m quite aware that we are living in the greatest period of TCU Athletics.

I love how thinking that our basketball team is probably closer to an NIT team than a 4-5 seed automatically aligns me with the “TCU sucks in everything/I want them to lose” contingent. So ridiculous. This board can be such a beating sometimes.

*Also, the basketball team is looking like they could prove me wrong if they finish out the season with 2-3 wins and have a good run in the B12 tourney. I’m still worried about the depth and perimeter defense and how that could hinder our chances for a legit March run.