• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Massive turnover on TCU offensive line Frog's biggest 2018 concern

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

It's almost time for spring football! As we inch closer to practices, let's take a look at the Frogs' positional outlooks for the 2018 season.

Offensive line
Key returnees: Trey Elliott (OG, senior), Lucas Niang (OT, junior), Sam Awolope (OT, junior), Austin Myers (OT, redshirt sophomore), Wes Harris (G/C, sophomore), Hunter Harris (G/C, junior)

Key losses: Joseph Noteboom (graduation), Patrick Morris (graduation), Matt Pryor (graduation), Austin Schlottmann (graduation) and Garrett Altman (graduation)

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-turnover-created-frogs-biggest-question-mark

Limp Lizard

If Thomsen is nearly as good as many here said when news of his hire was announced, then I feel optimistic about the OL. The Freshmen may take a while, but it could be OK.
Also, people who just think of Robinson as a "scrambler" are not doing due justice to him. The kid has a rifle arm, and he showed that he is willing to try and throw the ball with touch; too often you see a QB with a strong arm who tries to throw all passes on a line. Against Tech he barely missed many long passes plus had a drop deep downfield. I watched the game again, and he definitely had some problems with his arm/shoulder pretty early. Many times running to the ball his right arm hung limp looking like he would not make the whole game. And, er, he won the game. He just need experience and some work on his accuracy. Plus he will get a whole lot more reps this year in practice. Got my fingers crossed.

Eight

I'd thnk Iwuagwu should be a 'key returnee'.

Theatre majors should never be allowed to write about non-curling sports.

why would you expect the writer for the dmn who has thrown [ Finebaum ] on the wall about tcu during his tenure to remember a player who started for much of the year for the frogs? don't you know facts have a tendency to distort pre-conceived narratives.

Bob

I thought this was going to be about Collins having another year left and was already flagged for holding.

BleedNPurple

SR showed vertical passes with zip into gaps that KH couldn’t even try to hit. Very excited to see Robinson this year - just pray he stays healthy and our O line gels early and often. We have better targets to get the ball too also. Going to be interesting if we can keep Shawn upright and on the field!

Gunner

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

It's almost time for spring football! As we inch closer to practices, let's take a look at the Frogs' positional outlooks for the 2018 season.

Offensive line
Key returnees: Trey Elliott (OG, senior), Lucas Niang (OT, junior), Sam Awolope (OT, junior), Austin Myers (OT, redshirt sophomore), Wes Harris (G/C, sophomore), Hunter Harris (G/C, junior)

Key losses: Joseph Noteboom (graduation), Patrick Morris (graduation), Matt Pryor (graduation), Austin Schlottmann (graduation) and Garrett Altman (graduation)

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-turnover-created-frogs-biggest-question-mark

Limp Lizard

SR showed vertical passes with zip into gaps that KH couldn’t even try to hit. Very excited to see Robinson this year - just pray he stays healthy and our O line gels early and often. We have better targets to get the ball too also. Going to be interesting if we can keep Shawn upright and on the field!
Robinson was inconsistent, like a Freshman who played little, shock shock.:eek: But going back to the playoffs last year, where I first saw him play, his good passes are unlike anything I have seen at TCU: right on the money covering several yards quickly. And as I said earlier on this string, I like the fact that he at least tries to throw touch passes instead of everything being a bullet. That shows a willingness to move the offense instead of just show off his arm strength. I for one am excited.

asleep003

Just curious .... who was that(masked man) 5th OL starter that departed in the massive turnover? Do know some about the following though....

Elliott - 2016 started 2 games after recovering from injury...played 6 games 2017.
Iwuagwu - 2016 played in 8 games/stating 2 as RSFR ... 2017 had 4 starts.
Niang - 2016 played in 12 games as a TFR ... Started 8 games the 2017 season.
Meyers - 2017 played in 5 games as A RSFR.
Bolisomi - 2016 played in 4 games as RSFR... played 2 games in 2017.
Hollins - 2017 played in 4 games as a RSFR
Gaynor - 2016 played in 4 games as a Jr(?). Also listed a Jr 2017(?) no games.
Awolope - 2017 playe
Cominos - 2017 played in 2 games as a Jr.

We do have some untested B12 Talent, with McKinney, both Harris brothers and White. Cannot count on any incoming freshmen for 2018, but maybe one could surprise us and make the 2 deep OL... considering how thin we are there.

asleep003

LT - Niang

LG - Iwuagwu

C - Harris

RG - Trelliot

RT - McKinney

Feel Trey is really going to have to battle Meyers and perhaps Wes Harris too, for that guard spot. Iwuagwu will be tested by those 2 also.

Center has concerns more than any, it seems and looks like Hollins and Hunter Harris will be slugging it out. But the Fr Lanz has an opportunity here, and could come in and take it away from them both... if capable of learning the system quickly.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

It all goes back to the same thing we have been told the last 20 years. That good year was a fluke, but now with the losses, TCU is screwed. Every bleeping year it is the same thing, but at Big State U. they point out how those holes will be billed by the 5* Freshmen who tore them in high school last year..

McFroggin

O-line is key. SR with time is a beauty. While SR has speed, he is not elusive like Hill. If SR regularly scrambles, it’ll be a long season

Bob

Hill could hit those gaps. He just hit the wrong players half the time.