• The KillerFrogs

Reasons to be Optimistic against OSU?

Deep Purple

My strategy...

images

OmniscienceFrog

We need to shut down their receivers and make their quarterback uncomfortable. Then we have to control the line, control the clock, and control the ball. Ball security will be key in the game. Every opportunity OSU has to score is going to be 10x worse than with Smew... Hill needs to manage the game and use his legs before he uses his arm. He needs to thread the needle every throw and not miss the open receivers.
Ok St aggy syndrome. They never can put it all together and find a way every year to fold in a big game that keeps them out of the big picture. Alway a chance that this is the game where they choose to El Foldo for the big prize.
Unfortunately TCU is never that El Foldo game for them and it usually is an El Foldo game for TCU. That needs to change Saturday.

gp4prez

On offense I think, as everyone else has already made perfectly clear, that being able to run the ball to slow down the game is critical. If they start to stack the box we need to hurt them with lots of short passes in the middle of the field behind the LB's and let our athletes do damage after the catch. We need to be able to keep the safeties deep by hitting on a few opportunistic deep routes throughout the game. I pray we don't continue to waste downs with obvious bubble screens! If we can be efficient, protect the ball and not waste too many scoring opportunities due to penalties, negative plays or turnovers we should have a strong showing on O.

Defense: pressure has to be there all day and we need accomplish it with a 6 man front. The secondary has to play better as a whole than they did against SMU. If we can keep them from doing too much damage on the ground with a normal front and our DL rotation I think we really have a shot at keeping this in reach. Need summers back this week and hopefully there is a process to appeal Boesen's targeting ruling and he becomes available for the whole game... feels like we're getting thin at DE right now.

I can see us winning if it plays out something like this...

W

Way of the Frog

Tackling must be better than it was last week. No short catches that become long runs by their receivers and nothing like last year in their running game.

kodiak

After rewatching the SMU game, I agree that running game must shine. Eliminate the penalties. The online has not had those drive killers from the previous years. Avoid 3rd and long. There have been a lot of good things the past 3 weeks that have me feeling a little better, but still would not be a bettor on this game. Forever the optimist!

Long Time Lurker

I think you will see Kenny run the ball more. I don't think we have seen alot of this because they have been waiting for conference play. Tell Kenny...if you're scrabling, you have 2 choices, turn up and run or throw it away. Kenny looked really good throwing against SMU when his feet were set. When he was running and threw across his body he didn't even know where that ball was going.
I think their defense is good but not what it was last year. This game will come down to mistakes. The margin of error for both teams is razor thin, so if either team makes a mistake and the other scores off that mistake...it will be hard to recover.
We could catch them of guard and throw a pass to a tight end, no one would be expecting that.

Frog-in-law1995

I think you will see Kenny run the ball more. I don't think we have seen alot of this because they have been waiting for conference play. Tell Kenny...if you're scrabling, you have 2 choices, turn up and run or throw it away. Kenny looked really good throwing against SMU when his feet were set. When he was running and threw across his body he didn't even know where that ball was going.
I think their defense is good but not what it was last year. This game will come down to mistakes. The margin of error for both teams is razor thin, so if either team makes a mistake and the other scores off that mistake...it will be hard to recover.
We could catch them of guard and throw a pass to a tight end, no one would be expecting that.

I don't think Kenny will have that kind of time in the pocket this week, but if so, he should try to use a double word score in conjunction with a triple letter score.

TCU better practice silent counts due to crowd noise you can't hear anything on the field. We have to sustain drives and make first downs. When in the red zone have to score touch downs. Defense needs to force 7 punts and we have a good chance. We have to also limit them to four field goal attempts. If we do that and we can we should win. We still need to outscore them so I hope we run spread and attack them take the game. Get big lead force them to pass and we can blow them out.

W

Way of the Frog

TCU better practice silent counts due to crowd noise you can't hear anything on the field. We have to sustain drives and make first downs. When in the red zone have to score touch downs. Defense needs to force 7 punts and we have a good chance. We have to also limit them to four field goal attempts. If we do that and we can we should win. We still need to outscore them so I hope we run spread and attack them take the game. Get big lead force them to pass and we can blow them out.

Out scoring Oklahoma State will be critical if the Frogs have any hope of winning on Saturday.

LovesFrogsNDogs

Keys to success:

1. Run the ball successfully and control the clock

2. Force Rudolph to beat us with the deep ball. This will keep their defense on the field and let us score more easily, and they won't make 100% of their deep shots.

3. Win the turnover battle

That's really all we need to do. If we can contain their short pass and run game, then even though they'll score points on the deep ball, their defense will be gassed and sooner or later they'll start missing shots down the field. Getting a turnover or two to halt drives will also help immensely.

To be clear I doubt we can do this. But that's the game plan, I think.
I'm not disagreeing, but for #2, does Rudolph ever miss a deep throw? I haven't seen any but I haven't watched that much.

LovesFrogsNDogs

Tulsa scored 10 points offensively against our first team defense. They got 7 on special teams and seven against the freshmen and walk ons in the fourth quarter.

USA didn't score against the first team defense. They to got a TD against he reserves in the fourth.

Pitt scored 14 points against the first team defense, using a QB we had limited film on. They scored their other TD on special teams.

In total, the Cowboys' first team defense has given up 24 points in three games, for an 8 points a game average.

In fact, in the first quarter of the three games, OSU scored a combined 59 to zero scoring total. No team has yet posted any score in the first period.
So you're telling me Pitt (dumpster fire team) scored 12 points on you with a QB who hadn't played yet this year? Clever language, South Tulsa Dork.

Austintxfrog94

Tulsa scored 10 points offensively against our first team defense. They got 7 on special teams and seven against the freshmen and walk ons in the fourth quarter.

USA didn't score against the first team defense. They to got a TD against he reserves in the fourth.

Pitt scored 14 points against the first team defense, using a QB we had limited film on. They scored their other TD on special teams.

In total, the Cowboys' first team defense has given up 24 points in three games, for an 8 points a game average.

In fact, in the first quarter of the three games, OSU scored a combined 59 to zero scoring total. No team has yet posted any score in the first period.
You sound scared

SnoSki

I wonder if having a new OC with different signals will help us at all. I thought I heard once that DM used the same signals that's he used to when he was at OK St.

Limp Lizard

Hill looked the best I have seen him throwing the ball in the second half of the SMU game. The team won against an improved SMU team despite it being very obvious that their minds were not in the game (dumb penalties, turnovers, poor tackling). My only worry is not having Hicks available so that Cumbie can keep fresh RB's in the game. He was the only player who looked to really be in the game Saturday.