• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Recruits

TCUdirtbag

They tried Wanhannen in the outfield his freshman year. Not sure that position is best suited for him

Yeah, was only big 12 freshman of the year and started all season on that team that made it to the national semifinals at the CWS.

I get tires of people hammering on Wanhanen. Great kid, and he's a competitor, a hard worker and a leader on the team. Who cares where he projects after he leaves? The coaches obviously think he's earned a place in the lineup and he works his ass off.

Last edited:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Yeah, was only big 12 freshman of the year and started all season on that team that made it to the national semifinals at the CWS.

I get tires of people hammering on Wanhanen. Great kid, and he's a competitor, a hard worker and a leader on the team. Who cares where he projects after he leaves? The coaches obviously think he's earned a place in the lineup and he works his ass off.

I'm not hammering on him, only repeating what I was told by a coach and the position not being "suited" for him is a quote. There is nothing wrong with that. There are things that all of us are not suited to do. I wouldn't make a good brain surgeon or right fielder.

Pharm Frog

He was a DH when he was Big12 Freshman of the Year. I think he may have also finished third on this year's team in BA among regulars available to play. Offense started coming back from a huge sophomore slump. Remains a defensive liability regardless of field position. Since he doesn't slug for power he should cut down on his Ks (31% of ABs) and he could be back to being a lineup moving DH IMO. Can't see any value in discussing where he "projects" relative to the next level because the answer is most likely nowhere. Program player from my perspective.

EDIT: Probably projects as a highly successful graduate of TCU.

Last edited:

pgdaly84

I think most of the frustration with Wanhanen is due to his awesome freshman year. We all thought he would be a force with more physical development. Instead, he regressed badly in 2016 and only started to trend upward in the second half of this season. He's a singles hitter who hit .270 with a pretty high OBP and a below average defender. That seems to be what he is after 3 seasons, which is far below what that freshman season hinted at offensively. Watson had a similar sophomore slump but worse IMO. Went from leading the team at 11 homers to hitting one all year. Hope he can bounce back to something close to his freshman year because Baker is gonna need somebody to back him up.

Latest posts