• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Del Conte: ‘I understand angst’ on TCU-Ohio State football change

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Del Conte: ‘I understand angst’ on TCU-Ohio State football change

BY CARLOS MENDEZ
cmendez@star-telegram.com

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte said he was not surprised by the disappointment of students, fans and alumni who did not like the idea of changing a home-and-home football series against Ohio State to one game at AT&T Stadium, but that it was in the best interest of TCU.

“I understand their angst,” he said Friday in an interview with the Star-Telegram. “But when we collectively make a decision — me, Coach Patterson, our university leadership — we’re talking about what is best for TCU, our program, moving forward.”

The schools announced Thursday they would play one game on Sept. 15, 2018, at the home of the Dallas Cowboys rather than have Ohio State visit Fort Worth on that date and have TCU go to Columbus in 2019.

Instead, TCU will visit Purdue in 2019, and Ohio State will play Miami (Ohio). Purdue agreed to play in Fort Worth in 2029.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article147401554.html

McFroggin

Agreed. I'm not anxious or worried about it. I'm pissed off and feel cheated. If it was once fine, but cancelling our two biggest home in homes ever in 6 years well just sucks.

Agreed. We had the chance to have Ohio St and LSU at home and CDC darned that up good.

Should we be happy to have Arkansas and Oregon St grace us with their presence every decade over better teams?

TRF51

Interesting how UT can have ND in a home and home and how OU can have OSU in a home and home. This situation just illustrates that we as a program are not at their level or probably even close to it.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the season ticket holders a huge discount to this game. Then you throw in a weak Purdue team that we have to go to and they won't return the favor for 10 years. That is a crap deal, would almost rather play a 1aa game to get another home game.

PO Frog

tOSU has stroke. We don't. It's just that simple.
Again, please point to some evidence that OSU drove this result as opposed to TCU, considering all public statements from both parties point towards the opposite. I think CDC's quote yesterday regarding the CFP and the negativity associated with a huge loss speaks volumes about where GMFP thinks we are as a program and CDC acted accordingly.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, GMFP is pretty sure we're going to get our asses kicked, so he wanted it moved to JerryWorld? Nothing like a bigger, brighter stage for a public execution, eh?

Pharm Frog

Father of Pharm said that two of his golfing buddies - both of them multi-sport TCU season ticket holders and fairly prominent from what I understand - got in an argument about this oSU game. One of them claims that there was never an intention of having home-and-home. That it was a marketing strategy from its announcement to get more fans eager to go ahead and buy up season tickets with an expectation of increasingly attractive home schedules. The other one said that this was not true and that it was done simply to increase the payout and that the Frogs were about to be bought-out and left-out.

Personally, I don't see why these both can't be true. He said that neither ever believed that oSU would be coming to ACS but that they were already season ticket holders so it really didn't matter. And I think that's what's galling some people on here - that this was imminently predictable (and predicted).

PO Frog

So, GMFP is pretty sure we're going to get our asses kicked, so he wanted it moved to JerryWorld? Nothing like a bigger, brighter stage for a public execution, eh?
So I guess to the first part, you can't point to any evidence? As to the second, CDC is the one talking about the negativity associated with a huge loss. Maybe they only want it to happen once instead of twice?

Chongo94

Interesting how UT can have ND in a home and home and how OU can have OSU in a home and home. This situation just illustrates that we as a program are not at their level or probably even close to it.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the season ticket holders a huge discount to this game. Then you throw in a weak Purdue team that we have to go to and they won't return the favor for 10 years. That is a crap deal, would almost rather play a 1aa game to get another home game.

I think both sides are kinda overreacting a bit about all this and as I've stated I just don't like it that much cause I hate the death star and always feel like I paid way too much to just watch tv somewhere other than my home.

That said, I think this best summarizes the biggest or perhaps most annoying aspects of the deal. I don't want to play a 1aa team but the rest is spot on TRF.

cdsfrog

I think both sides are kinda overreacting a bit about all this and as I've stated I just don't like it that much cause I hate the death star and always feel like I paid way too much to just watch tv somewhere other than my home.

That said, I think this best summarizes the biggest or perhaps most annoying aspects of the deal. I don't want to play a 1aa team but the rest is spot on TRF.

I would much rather play Purdue, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Washington State any of those teams at home than tOSU, Bama, USC at Jerry World.

No offense to them, all elite great programs but we rarely get any decent OOC games to begin with.