• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU BASEBALL SEASON THREAD

TCUdirtbag

D1 Baseball had released their preseason field of 64. Again, the NCAA will be assigning and pairing 16 national seeds without regard to geography this year. So it’ll be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc., in regionals. Higher-sees teams host supers if they advance as was the case in prior years.

(1) Florida / (16) DBU
(2) Oregon St / (15) CS Fullerton
(3) Texas Tech / (14) Louisville
(4) Florida St / (13) LSU
(5) Arkansas / (12) Stanford
(6) UNC / (11) Texas A&M
(7) TCU / (10) Ole Miss
(8) Kentucky / (9) UCLA

Other TCU opponents in the projected field:
2-seeds: Texas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Rice
3-seeds: Long Beach St
4-seeds: Grand Canyon

That’s 6 games vs their projected Regional hosts and another 17 vs tournament teams. 9 of those on the road (though 3 at 4-seed GCU), 1 neutral, and 7 home. Would be a recipe for a good RPI, though I’d like to see the Big 12 get a 6th team in.

The projected TCU Regional is TCU, (2) Mississippi State, (3) Sam Houston State, (4) Grambling State. It is paired With the Ole Miss Regional with Ole Miss, (2) South Alabama, (3) Miami. (4) Stetson.

Last edited:

Sand Frog

The projected TCU Regional is TCU, (2) Mississippi State, (3) Sam Houston State, (4) Grambling State. It is paired With the Ole Miss Regional with Ole Miss, (2) South Alabama, (3) Miami. (4) Stetson.

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, in your golden, fleece diapers, with your curled-up, fat, balled-up little fists pawin' at the air, please let this regional/regional pairing happen!

My family in MS already hates me enough after that Peach Bowl azz kicking. They'd REALLY hate me if the road to Omaha went thru MSU and Ole Miss.

ftwfrog

Other TCU opponents in the projected field:
2-seeds: Texas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Rice
3-seeds: Long Beach St

That’s 6 games vs their projected Regional hosts and another 17 vs tournament teams. 9 of those on the road (though 3 at 4-seed GCU), 1 neutral, and 7 home. .

So that kind of answers a question for me: As we scout our first opponent, GCU isn’t a complete pushover?

hometown frog

So that kind of answers a question for me: As we scout our first opponent, GCU isn’t a complete pushover?
No. They are very new to d1 baseball but have jumped big time to win and win a lot at this level. (In football this woulda been called a no win situation type game. No credit if you win and all the fault for losing to a ‘nobody. Baseball is much more RPI driven so not as valid)

frogtex

GCU is a ncaa regional team for sure...Frogs will face a potential very high draft pick on Friday in Jake Wong...GCU is opening a new ballpark and expecting over 5,000 fans....

TCUdirtbag

GCU is a ncaa regional team for sure...Frogs will face a potential very high draft pick on Friday in Jake Wong...GCU is opening a new ballpark and expecting over 5,000 fans....

Not sure I’d say “for sure” as the WAC is almost certainly a 1-bid league. A slip in their conference tournament could spell trouble. Don’t think their squad is quite as strong this year as the top 2/3 of the Big 12. Definitely going to be a tougher environment than our fans would expect.

Last year the Antelopes started the season winning a series vs Oklahoma State (though that was the high point - final RPI was 133). Also swept a 2-game midweek series vs Tech in 2015

For those that don’t know, GCU won the D2 national champsuonship then went straight into the 4-year D1 transition. This is the first year they are eligible for D1 postseason.

Purp

It’s February and we have our first projected field of 64! As a reminder, they’re seeding the top 16 this year and for supers it’ll be 16 @ 1, 15 @ 2, 14 @ 3, etc.

Here you go:
(1) Florida / (16) Ole Miss
(2) Oregon St / (15) Virginia
(3) Florida St / (14) Texas
(4) Arkansas / (13) UCLA
(5) Texas Tech / (12) Clemson
(6) UNC / (11) CS Fullerton
(7) TCU / (10) Texas A&M
(8) Kentucky / (9) Stanford

That projected FW Regional is TCU, DBU, NC State, Yale. Paired with A&M, Oklahoma, Duke, Oral Roberts.

In the field:
2-seeds: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, DBU
3-seeds: Oklahoma State, West Virginia
(Rice, LBSU and Baylor “next 4 out”)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2018-preseason-projected-field-64/#Y7ULlHtlsfyeLPLm.97
NC State and aTm in the same postseason? Only way it could be better would be to add Pepperdine and Sam Houston State to the regional

jake102

For the experts on here..... if I get home at 8pm tonight, is there any way to watch ESPN3 from the beginning? Or do I have to wait until the game ends and watch the replay?

GeoFrog

For the experts on here..... if I get home at 8pm tonight, is there any way to watch ESPN3 from the beginning? Or do I have to wait until the game ends and watch the replay?
You could watch tomorrow...the game is Friday.:oops:
635809824922215243-AP-BACK-TO-THE-FUTURE-DAY-76890712.JPG