• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread - Part 2

dkfrog

How many times do HS kids get “discovered” when college coaches are on campus to see other kids? Sounds like a short-sighted rule that could be hampering other kids chances.

Gunner

I'm suggesting it's a two way street.

They can advise/counsel the kids and help them through the process, sure. But to set a blanket rule that coaches can't talk to a kid at the high school is absurd.

At what point does it start to look a little fishy when only certain schools are allowed through the doors at particular high schools.

I'm not saying that's happening here, just saying it's a slippery slope.

SportsJunkie

Coburn's entire Twitter is about UT and liking all things UT. Man, I could never be a recruiter because I'd just leave him alone and say that's fine if that's where you want to go. Next!

Eight

for those who don't know this connection
Westfield heads into 2015 with a ton of momentum.

The Mustangs reached the 6A Division II semifinals last fall, their third trip to the final four since 2004, and head into next season with a solid core on both sides of the ball.

Westfield did lose its coach as Corby Meekins joined Tom Herman’s staff at UH, but should be able to handle a transition with its new head man. Matt Meekins, Corby’s brother, was promoted and named the Mustangs’ new head coach.

The move was confirmed Wednesday by Spring ISD athletic director Willie Amendola.

Matt Meekins was Westfield’s assistant head coach since 2012 and took the lead over the program after Corby departed in early January.

In 11 seasons under Corby, Westfield went 114-27. The Mustangs played in the Division I-5A finals in 2004 and reached the semifinals the next year. Eight years produced at least 10 wins and Westfield claimed seven district titles.

Next season, Westfield will return top Class of 2016 prospects Ed Oliver, a national recruit on the defensive line, wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland, a Texas A&M verbal commitment, and quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole.

if you don't think matt meekins isn't doing everything he can do to protect the Horns most important unsigned recruit you are crazy. won't say he is getting paid like some have referred but this is the same crap they pulled with ed oliver

netty2424

for those who don't know this connection
Westfield heads into 2015 with a ton of momentum.

The Mustangs reached the 6A Division II semifinals last fall, their third trip to the final four since 2004, and head into next season with a solid core on both sides of the ball.

Westfield did lose its coach as Corby Meekins joined Tom Herman’s staff at UH, but should be able to handle a transition with its new head man. Matt Meekins, Corby’s brother, was promoted and named the Mustangs’ new head coach.

The move was confirmed Wednesday by Spring ISD athletic director Willie Amendola.

Matt Meekins was Westfield’s assistant head coach since 2012 and took the lead over the program after Corby departed in early January.

In 11 seasons under Corby, Westfield went 114-27. The Mustangs played in the Division I-5A finals in 2004 and reached the semifinals the next year. Eight years produced at least 10 wins and Westfield claimed seven district titles.

Next season, Westfield will return top Class of 2016 prospects Ed Oliver, a national recruit on the defensive line, wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland, a Texas A&M verbal commitment, and quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole.

if you don't think matt meekins isn't doing everything he can do to protect the Horns most important unsigned recruit you are crazy. won't say he is getting paid like some have referred but this is the same crap they pulled with ed oliver
Has to be getting paid. Why else would he essentially cut himself off from the rest of the college football job opps?

netty2424

What are you talking about? He was always a career high school guy. He got the Westfield job because of his brother.

Take a look at Meekins' twitter account and tell me which school has a former player of his playing, starting part of this year and has no mention whatsoever on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/meeks38?lang=en
I'm not sure what you're arguing.

He a buddy of yours? Seem a little defensive about the guy.

netty2424

defending? scheiss no. i say the only way he got the westfield job is because of his brother and you think i am defending him?
Honestly I wasn't sure what you were getting at in your post. I didn't read your post as what you just said, but I'm multitasking at the moment so I must have misunderstood. Apologies.

My comment about him being a lifer was agreeing with you indirectly as a result of him cutting off other schools. Meaning he's a lifer not by choice any more.