• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I don't think the problem is spending related. It's administration related. For what DISD spends per student a parent could send their kid to a very nice private school.
I don't think you saw through my misdirection to my hidden agenda. Sorry to draw offsides.

Purp

I don't think you saw through my misdirection to my hidden agenda. Sorry to draw offsides.
I got it immediately and don't necessarily disagree. I believe we should derive tax revenue that way. I just believe we spend too damned much money in government and it drives me bat boat crazy. Raise tax revenues another way, spend less money, and eliminate property taxes and I'll be less prone to jumping offsides.

Last edited:

Tom Brown

It's not the amount of dollars spent, it's what they do with the dollars spent. There are plenty of good school districts in Texas that spend well below the national average per pupil. Hell, even below the state average. Likewise, there are school districts who spend far more than the average and suck.

Kids don't need brand new buildings and state-of-the-art technology to learn well. I grew up in public school in Kilgore, Texas and we didn't have all the greatest facilities and gadgets, but I was able to get a great education that prepared me well enough to avoid grammar nazi detection on KF.c.

We spend way too much time talking about how much we spend per student and far too little time talking about the other aspects of education that make it suck. Dollars spent per pupil is an easy number to derive and complain about, but the other figures are more nebulous and more difficult to nail down. If you doubled the amount spent per student in DISD you wouldn't fix the problems in that district.

Now you've drawn me offsides. Dammit. I'm going to sit out the rest of the quarter now.

Bro I feel you. This where i make my living. I dont wanna get deep and derail but the funding formulas in texas are askew, so averages are somewhat misleading.

But across the board texas like the 36-50 states would benefit from greater funding. The disconnect is the Texas economy is obviously better than most states, our legislators have just chosen to reduce ed spending.

Again, measures of college and career readiness and bilingual ed, Texas innovative instruction is making up ground in spite of hamstrung budgets.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I got it immediately and don't necessarily disagree. I believe we should derive tax revenue that way. I just believe we spend too damned much money in government and it drives me bat boat crazy. Raise tax revenues another way, spend less money, and eliminate property taxes and I'll be less prone to jumping offsides.
Get out my head, yo.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Good man. Excellent suggestions.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Bro I feel you. This where i make my living. I dont wanna get deep and derail but the funding formulas in texas are askew, so averages are somewhat misleading.

But across the board texas like the 36-50 states would benefit from greater funding. The disconnect is the Texas economy is obviously better than most states, our legislators have just chosen to reduce ed spending.

Again, measures of college and career readiness and bilingual ed, Texas innovative instruction is making up ground in spite of hamstrung budgets.
Is Texas really excelling in STEM as well, as you mentioned earlier? If so, I'm impressed.

Frog-in-law1995

So here’s an embarrassing story. Got a HS buddy moving home after a couple decades abroad and the party is tomorrow. I stopped by Total Wine for my No. 3 (quick aside - I spend WAY to much on booze a month) and my wife’s Deep Eddy grapefruit. While at the register, it hits me that I need to bring some old school [ Finebaum ] tomorrow night, so I discreetly ask the girl at the register if they carry Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill. Just wanted a quiet yes or no. Instead, she jumps on the p.a. system.

“MIKE, DO WE CARRY STRAWBERRY HILL?”

“WHAT?

”STRAWBERRY HILL. THERES A GUY HERE AT THE REGISTER WHO WANTS SOME. SAYS ITS SOME SORT OF FLAVORED WINE LIKE MAD DOG.

“I THINK WE HAVE MAD DOG”

“NO HE REALLY WANTS STRAWBERRY HILL.”

Meanwhile, I’m trying to crawl entirely inside my coat so nobody can see me. It was worse than the grocery store tampon price check that happens seemingly every time I get talked into that little errand.

Last edited:

Tom Brown

Is Texas really excelling in STEM as well, as you mentioned earlier? If so, I'm impressed.

They are among the leading states in innovative courses and STEM integration into younger grades.

I didnt say excelling. But other states are following texas, VA, CA in offering more STEM opportunities.

TCURiggs

Traffic between Meridian and Clifton was hell tonight. By the time I got to the Bunkhouse I couldn't stop because all my road rage victims were behind me. Now I'm sitting at a Dennys in Bryan doing this.

Traffic between Clifton and Meridian? Never seen that.

A Grand Slam is no Bunkhouse either. Your trip is off to a bad start, IMO.