• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

FBallFan123

As fun as it seems to watch ESPN seemingly lose money hand over fist, I can guarantee you that it doesn't help TCU in any way whatsoever. If you're a fan of TCU football, I don't get the cheerleading over this.

Not sure how my post was cheerleading, but it's happening, whether anybody cheerleads or not.

Mean Purple

As fun as it seems to watch ESPN seemingly lose money hand over fist, I can guarantee you that it doesn't help TCU in any way whatsoever. If you're a fan of TCU football, I don't get the cheerleading over this.
As with other business ventures, the slack would be picked by not only the new organization that eventually would take ESPN, but also Fox Sports, CBS Sports Network and others

So pop a cork and party.

P.s. the CFP still sux

Pharm Frog

OK, but you have to admit the tone of it suggests a certain amount of happiness. As if it's news that's good to hear.

I'm giddy and I don't care how it affects TCU or Ohio State or anyone else. The market will take care of the stakeholders if there continues to be demand. Great opportunity for innovators and entrepreneurs. Thrilled to see a business fail that completely and purposefully forgot its core competency, persisted in poor quality programming, and decided to stake its position in political advocacy.

Wexahu

The tone suggests a certain amount of happiness?

I'd love for you to actually try and demonstrate that.

Maybe those aren't the right words, but I think it's clear from reading this thread and nobody is very disappointed that ESPN is losing their ass, even though the effect of that on TCU will most likely be negative.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I think people would be a lot more supportive of ESPN if they'd get back to their original planning and cut all the cutting edge political crap.

FBallFan123

As with other business ventures, the slack would be picked by not only the new organization that eventually would take ESPN, but also Fox Sports, CBS Sports Network and others

So pop a cork and party.

P.s. the CFP still sux

In terms of potential money, it's no longer limited to just the sports networks like ESPN/FOX/CBS.

Look at the tech/social media companies. They're getting involved in streaming sports the same way they're looking to get into TV shows and movies...

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2017/11/29/facebook-hiring-sports-rights-executive.html

Facebook looking for executive to broker billions of dollars in sports-rights deals

bizjournals.com said:
The executive will oversee a budget of about “a few billion dollars” to buy sports rights on a global basis, sources said.

bizjournals.com said:
The position is a potentially important one in the sports business, as the bulk of U.S. sports rights will be available early in the next decade. U.S. leagues, in particular, have been hoping that digital companies such as Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) will be active bidders when their rights become available.

bizjournals.com said:
At least initially, Facebook has little interest in building out a production arm to produce these events on its own. Facebook is looking to partner with leagues or broadcasters, where Facebook will hold the streaming rights and someone else will hold the television rights.

bizjournals.com said:
Facebook is looking for someone else to handle the production of the events, which is the strategy it has used for its MLB and Champions League streaming rights deals.

bizjournals.com said:
Facebook has been an active bidder for international sports rights. For example, it bid $600 million for streaming rights to Indian cricket. Star India won the rights — combined TV and streaming — for $2.55 billion.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/nfl-amazon-thursday-night-football-deal-1202061650/

Amazon Scores ‘Thursday Night Football’ Streaming Deal

Deadline said:
Amazon has acquired streaming rights to 10 NFL Thursday night games for the upcoming season, Deadline has confirmed. The deal is for one year and the pact is worth about $50 million, a major increase over Twitter’s rights deal last year that had marked the league’s first package with a streaming service.

Deadline said:
Under terms of the deal, games will be available only to subscribers of Amazon’s Prime service both in the U.S. and internationally in more than 200 countries. The Thursday package will also still air on TV, with CBS and NBC splitting the broadcasts for the 2017-2018 season and all those games also live on NFL Network. Amazon said games will also stream the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, game consoles, set-top boxes and connected devices that include Amazon Fire TV, mobile devices and online.

Deadline said:
Amazon has been dabbling in the NFL already — it just ordered Season 2 of All Or Nothing, an original series produced by NFL Films that will focus on the Los Angeles Rams’ first season back in L.A.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/17/college-basketball-games-stadium-deal-facebook-streaming

What Fans Can Expect from Facebook's Live Stream of 47 College Basketball Games This Season

SI said:
On Thursday morning, Stadium—the multiplatform sports network that has worked with Facebook and Twitter to stream live sporting events—announced a 47-game lineup of college basketball games it would be broadcasting exclusively on Facebook this season.

SI said:
The deal comes after Stadium partnered with Facebook to air a 15-game package of college football games this fall and, not unlike the NFL’s experiments with Yahoo and Amazon, offers a glimpse at what might soon become a more standard way to consume college sports.

SI said:
SI: Looking at the schedule, there are a lot of mid-majors with some power-conference teams mixed in. How much of this is a bellwether to potentially go after bigger programs and bigger leagues down the line?

AA: We have our current partnerships. You can see what conferences those are. We’ve partnered with the Mountain West for four or five years now. Same thing with the West Coast Conference and Conference USA. The Atlantic 10 is a new deal this year. A lot of rights are locked-up long-term. When you’re looking at the Power 5 schools, most of those are tied up for a while. But I think as we see this part of the business and this area continue to expand, I think that’s where we have our sights set, is being able to grow and build this thing. We love our partners that we have now. Call them mid-majors, call them what you want. We’ve seen already that these are passionate, underserved fanbases. We’ve been able to target those. I don’t think we’re turning our backs or anything as we look ahead. But there are plenty of fans to go around. I don’t think sports enthusiasm is going anywhere.

SI said:
SI: Could there be a day that we see a conference get an exclusive deal to be broadcast on Facebook for a full slate of games?

AA: I don’t know. I would love it. We’re certainly interested. We still think this is just the start. As there are more opportunities, I honestly think that conferences are in a really good situation right now. Some people look at it as the sports rights bubble bursting and ESPN is getting killed on the contracts they bought into as subscribers cut out—I don’t know that that’s the case. I think there are more players and I think this is a great example. A partnership with Facebook gives us a great opportunity to really bring these conferences to new audiences and go places they haven’t been able to go and I think the conferences are craving that. I don’t think they would rather be tucked away on one of the smaller tiers of a cable package when you can reach two billion people like you can on Facebook.

Mean Purple

In terms of potential money, it's no longer limited to just the sports networks like ESPN/FOX/CBS.

Look at the tech/social media companies. They're getting involved in streaming sports the same way they're looking to get into TV shows and movies...

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2017/11/29/facebook-hiring-sports-rights-executive.html

Facebook looking for executive to broker billions of dollars in sports-rights deals

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/17/college-basketball-games-stadium-deal-facebook-streaming

What Fans Can Expect from Facebook's Live Stream of 47 College Basketball Games This Season
Liked for most resourced post in KF.c history.

InstaFrog

giphy.gif

FBallFan123

http://beta.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-fox-sports-nets-espn-20171206-story.html

Disney wants Fox's regional sports networks to boost ESPN

LA Times said:
Fox's regional sports networks are valued at $22.4 billion, according to an analysis Wednesday by Guggenheim Securities. Fox's entertainment cable channels, FX and National Geographic, are worth about $8.7 billion.

Guggenheim's analysis placed a $68-billion valuation for all of the assets that Disney is hoping to buy. The 20th Century Fox movie and television studio was valued at $13.3 billion. Fox's international television operations are worth about $13.7 billion, the firm said.

The Guggenheim analysis estimated that Fox's 39% stake in European pay-TV giant Sky was worth $8.8 billion and that its 30% stake in Hulu was worth $1.75 billion.

LA Times said:
Comcast Corp. and Sony Pictures Entertainment also have expressed interest in Fox’s regional sports networks, but Disney has emerged as the front-runner in the bidding war for Fox’s entertainment assets.

LA Times said:
Losing the regional networks would leave Fox with a skimpy sports portfolio. The Fox broadcast network that airs NFL games and other sports, including Major League Baseball's World Series, and its national cable channels Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. Guggenheim valued Fox's two national sports channels, which have been slow to gain traction, at $1.8 billion.

Fox News Channel, meanwhile, was valued at $14.6 billion by Guggenheim.

Pharm Frog

John Skipper resigns as ESPN president, George Bodenheimer takes over as acting chairman

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21804776/john-skipper-resigns-espn-president

John Skipper resigned as president of ESPN and co-chairman of the Disney Media Networks on Monday.

George Bodenheimer, ESPN's president from 1998 to 2011 and its executive chairman until May 2014, will take over as the acting chairman of the company for the next 90 days to help Disney chairman and chief executive officer Bob Iger find Skipper's replacement.

Hmmmmmm (musing is my own)

"Today I have resigned from my duties as President of ESPN," Skipper said in a statement. "I have had a wonderful career at the Walt Disney Company and am grateful for the many opportunities and friendships. I owe a debt to many, but most profoundly Michael Lynton, George Bodenheimer and Bob Iger.

"I have struggled for many years with a substance addiction. I have decided that the most important thing I can do right now is to take care of my problem.