• The KillerFrogs

Actually looking forward to seeing what Robinson can do starting.

TCURiggs

Not true and not fair. I've always thought we had the potential to be good with Kenny. Go look at the season prediction thread. I picked us to go 10-2 knowing Kenny was our QB.

Ive also never been a part of the bash Kenny crowd. And I very much appreciate that he's brought us to this point and I hope he gets to finish out his career healthy and with a big 12 championship/ and a good bowl win.

Not trying to knock Kenny, but I don't think we are a playoff quality team with him at QB. I'm not saying we are with Shawn and I agree that it's EXTREMELY unlikely. But who knows. He could be incredible. Or he could be an athletic freshman with flashes of greatness, but also full of growing pains and mistakes. We don't know. But I feel like we do know with Kenny. That was my only point.

Anyway, I feel like you're too annoyed and fed up with Kenny haters to agree with me here, so I digress.

My bad for lumping you in that crowd.

I don't know if we're a playoff team or not. If we're healthy we might be, but missing Jet the rest of the way really hurts. It's unlikely that we'll get a shot at the playoffs anyway IMO, even if we win out. I'm not worried about that, though. We'll see how everything plays out.

The constant hypotheticals just wear me out. Kenny has started all year for a reason, and that reason is because he's an experienced 5th-year Senior QB with a Freshman backup. According to GP today, Robinson has come a long way since the Spring. I take that to mean that it wasn't even really close to being a competition going into the season (I think JC confirmed that on 247), yet the same anti-Hill folks have been hammering out those same hypotheticals all year, even while we ran off to a 7-0 start.

Shawn's grasp of our offense is likely much better now, but he has yet to experience a start (or many plays, really) in college. To think he can go to Lubbock and come out of the gate better than Kenny is very unrealistic/unlikely, which is why Kenny will start if he's close to being healthy. Shawn needs more snaps but I'm certainly hoping Kenny is good to go on Saturday. He'll give us the best chance to win, as he has all season.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
c2a2e21a7ca41ad73a63fc717f5c2905.jpg

rifram09

Kenny did an admirable job so far this year. He seems to be rattled since the Iowa State game, but if he can bounce back and get us into the B12 championship game that will mean we far exceeded expectations with him as our QB.

A cotton bowl berth is very realistic and attainable, and it will be a big-time reward for our program (and fans like me that get a kick out of our history with the cotton bowl).

All of that means something to me.

To me, it's just speculation as to how Shawn would do, good or bad, if he plays the entire game. I think we should beat TTU with Hill starting and for his sake, I hope he is healthy. The good news is that SR doesn't have to step in and replace a QB where everything that offense does is put on his back.

If SR has developed enough that he can do the basics in what has been a simplified version of some kind of a hybrid between an air raid and power spread, can make some plays with his feet, and can legitimately stretch the field 4 or 5 times, I don't see any reason to think we wouldn't be in pretty good shape. He certainly got enough raw talent that I'd be pumped to see what he can do.

Either way, if Hill plays, I hope he plays well. If SR goes, I hope he plays well.

TCURiggs

To me, it's just speculation as to how Shawn would do, good or bad, if he plays the entire game. I think we should beat TTU with Hill starting and for his sake, I hope he is healthy. The good news is that SR doesn't have to step in and replace a QB where everything that offense does is put on his back.

If SR has developed enough that he can do the basics in what has been a simplified version of some kind of a hybrid between an air raid and power spread, can make some plays with his feet, and can legitimately stretch the field 4 or 5 times, I don't see any reason to think we wouldn't be in pretty good shape. He certainly got enough raw talent that I'd be pumped to see what he can do.

Either way, if Hill plays, I hope he plays well. If SR goes, I hope he plays well.

I wouldn't be worried about Robinson making plays. I'm confident he'd do that. I'd be worried that he'd turn it over a few times, which is something Kenny was good at avoiding this season. That's just something that 99% of young QB's do... make bad decisions more often.

As others have said, I'm glad it's Tech and not some of the other teams in conference. We're through the meat of our regular season schedule, although Lubbock won't be a cakewalk, so hopefully we can do whatever we need to do with the banged up players and get a W the next two weeks. I'm sure it would be all hands on deck for a rematch with OU.

TCURiggs

Kenny did an admirable job so far this year. He seems to be rattled since the Iowa State game, but if he can bounce back and get us into the B12 championship game that will mean we far exceeded expectations with him as our QB.

A cotton bowl berth is very realistic and attainable, and it will be a big-time reward for our program (and fans like me that get a kick out of our history with the cotton bowl).

All of that means something to me.

Just curious, but when did you think he look rattled in Norman?

rifram09

Just curious, but when did you think he look rattled in Norman?

I'm not sure I could point you to the specific series that made me think that. It just seemed like when the game started getting away from us in the first half he lost confidence. Admittedly, it's a subjective criticism. Maybe I was projecting.

ifrog

K.H. being kicked to the curb. Boo Hoo. Only 3 games left on the roster. What are some posters going to find fault with fellow Frog fans next year?

Stalker. Do I need to get another restraining order?

KH wasn’t kicked to the curb but you sir just showed your colors again. Now go back to directing traffic.

StinnettFrog

Not wanting Hill benched myself, just excited to see what Robinson can be if Hill can't go. Personally I think Robinson has a higher ceiling.

Hill earned his spot and other than a couple of plays against Iowa State he has been very good most of the time. Saturday was just a beatdown on all sides. Hopefully the team regroups next Saturday.

TCURiggs

Not wanting Hill benched myself, just excited to see what Robinson can be if Hill can't go. Personally I think Robinson has a higher ceiling.

Hill earned his spot and other than a couple of plays against Iowa State he has been very good most of the time. Saturday was just a beatdown on all sides. Hopefully the team regroups next Saturday.

I agree with all of that

Slomo37

We are not going to beat OU in Round 2 with KH. Coaches see that and see an opportunity to break in a new QB for next year.

That's not an indictment on KH, its on GP's defense. We can't contain Bakefield and GP is grasping for any offense that can keep up for his defense to hold in this conference.

CountryFrog

We are not going to beat OU in Round 2 with KH. Coaches see that and see an opportunity to break in a new QB for next year.

That's not an indictment on KH, its on GP's defense. We can't contain Bakefield and GP is grasping for any offense that can keep up for his defense to hold in this conference.
You're supposed to agree with the people above, not throw out a slightly altered version of the current most popular board conspiracy theory.

hometown frog

The other twist in this that I haven’t seen is how long has Kenny been injured? I didn’t see a play against ou that looked like he got hurt. I didn’t listen to Gary’s presser but I didn’t think he commented on when. Wondering if he’s been dinged up a few games and grinding as best he can (ala last years ankle sprain.)