• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Press Conference

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I hope we play whoever gives us the best chance to win (I’m pretty sure that’s KH) but I’m not gonna lie..... I’m excited to see what SR can do.

Agreed.

giphy.gif

Sebastian S

The playbook was catered to Hill making high percentage throws and limiting the possible errors.

A good run game also helped.

We don't know what SR can or can't do. Maybe we will have a chance to find out.

The relationship between SR and KH looks to be really good, so one way or the other, they will support and help each other out.

W

Way of the Frog

There is nothing wrong with KH, by most all accounts he a good kid Nobody hates him, I hate that that is what is implied when people are critical of his play. And SR might totally be in over his head if he plays a lot Saturday, I have no idea, and it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles mightily. But the QB play in recent weeks has been lacking (and never really has been all that great this year) and the same weaknesses keep showing up, that some people want to see something different......just to see it if nothing else......shouldn't surprise anyone.

So Saturday was on Hill? Curious because if you add the drops into his numbers those project to a pretty decent night, but obviously I am refusing to see what so many on this board have been seeing all year.

Sebastian S

So Saturday was on Hill? Curious because if you add the drops into his numbers those project to a pretty decent night, but obviously I am refusing to see what so many on this board have been seeing all year.
It's a combination of every piece on offense. On the field, Hill gets the most blame, playcalling is on Cumbie.

The only important stat is how many points they score.

You can have 400+ yards but if you only score 1 TD what good is that?

Wexahu

I just see what my eyes see. No, Saturday wasn't necessarily on Hill but I also don't think virtually our entire WR corps' disappearance over the past two seasons is because they just can't seem to figure it out. I also don't think our coaches have a lot of confidence in Kenny's ability to execute in the passing game outside of very simple, one-read, shortish pass routes. I think the fact that we decide to run SR in on a key drive near the end of the half in a huge game speaks a little to the coaches confidence....do you think they would've done that with TB? Not to say KH has done a bad job with what he has, but I definitely don't watch these games and think we are winning because of our QB play. I think we are carefully game-planning around KH's weaknesses and teams have caught on and started defensing us accordingly. That's what I see.

Mean Purple

If GP said Hill is between probable to questionable, then it is not know if he does not play. He could still play. Or they both could play.

W

Way of the Frog

The VIRTUAL WR CORPS' DiSAPPEARANCE is on Kenny.

Curious, what did your eyes see in regards to who was throwing those passes to Taj Williams when he went for 5 catches for 210 yards and 2 td's.

If I am not mistaken it was Kenny Hill, but that is impossible because you just laid at Kenny's feet basically the destruction of the career of every damn receiver on the the TCU roster.

Funny how the staff had enough confidence in Kenny to call the pass to Hicks on first down right after the OU score just like the ball to Turpin.

What we keep hearing is that players that don't perform in practice won't play and yet according to you that is Kenny's fault because it can't be the other players faults right.

I really shouldn't be amazed at what you wrote because it is the same type of crap that gets rehashed again and again.

dawg

This will be Shawn's coming out party.

He will throw for 525 yards and rush for another 150 against Tech. 5 TD passes. 2 Rushing TDS.

We then go on to beat Baylor by 80.

In revenge, Matt Boesen literally rips Baker Mayfield's head off on the opening play of the CCG. Shawn leads us to a 3 TD victory.

The committee is so impressed by Shawn that we make it into the CFP playoffs and go win the whole damn thing, fulfilling the "2018 National Champions" located on the East Side rendering released today.

6cb4139649ea5d23bbecf23043f7576b5b6fcec9b5fdf2f96f28c2f1f805b8af.jpg

Chongo94

Throwing a Freshman to the wolves is starting him 6 weeks ago..Kids been in the program well over a year this point..Barely even call him a Freshman..Inexperienced Yes but pretending he's still a tender high school kid is ridiculous

I'm not. But you apparently just don't understand the difference between a night and day game in Lubbock. It's vastly different and I'd rather the game be at 11am regardless if it's an all American senior or a "tender high school" freshman we put out there.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

Here's to the people who jumped on me after I stated that we might start looking towards next year on offense.

No doubt that Shawn doesn't need to be totally green going into next season, which makes it odd that he didn't get more mop-up duty earlier in the year. That would've put him in a better spot if he has to start on Saturday as well.

My guess for Saturday: Kenny starts, Shawn rotates in a little more than he has (per GP's post-game comments in Norman) and throws a few, and maybe even finishes out the game if we can get it comfortably in hand. I'm sure we're banged up, but I bet GP also just wanted to throw some of that out there to give Kliff more to chew on.

Chongo94

Didn’t that little Cibolo Steele QB go to Tech? I’m OK with what SR did last time they played against each other. That frozen rope to end the first half was special.

He did but the backup is Duffy and/or the Mclane Carter kid from a juco in east Texas (Tyler maybe?)...

Last edited:
I think we trust GP he has earned our trust that Hill is hurt. I hope that SR can play as good as Hill has and perhaps he has an upside in a stronger arm so maybe a few more deep throws might happen. I think the team will focus more and try harder helping a freshman in their first start. Hill will be SR's biggest cheerleader just watch he is a team player. I can't wait to see what our offense looks like Saturday.

Shorty

I think the fact that we decide to run SR in on a key drive near the end of the half in a huge game speaks a little to the coaches confidence....do you think they would've done that with TB?
And they don't let SR throw the ball. So the coaches have more confidence in SR handing the ball off or doing a designed run than anything Kenny can do?

Wexahu

The VIRTUAL WR CORPS' DiSAPPEARANCE is on Kenny.

Curious, what did your eyes see in regards to who was throwing those passes to Taj Williams when he went for 5 catches for 210 yards and 2 td's.

If I am not mistaken it was Kenny Hill, but that is impossible because you just laid at Kenny's feet basically the destruction of the career of every damn receiver on the the TCU roster.

Funny how the staff had enough confidence in Kenny to call the pass to Hicks on first down right after the OU score just like the ball to Turpin.

What we keep hearing is that players that don't perform in practice won't play and yet according to you that is Kenny's fault because it can't be the other players faults right.

I really shouldn't be amazed at what you wrote because it is the same type of crap that gets rehashed again and again.

The fact that Hill throws some nice passes at times doesn't really prove anything. The confidence to call that pass play to Hicks? It was a wheel route out to the sideline and there were no other defenders in the area.....it was a great call, but it's not that difficult a pass for a QB at all if the defenders bite, it's pretty no risk. Confidence is going for it on 4th and 3 down 17 from the opponents 37 yard line. In fact, that's not even confidence, that's just playing the normal percentages. No confidence is punting. If you think the coaches game plan revolves around confidence in the QB, we really are seeing two different things.

puckster59

SR hasn't seen a ton of mop-up time because there hasn't been a ton of mop-up time. And the midseasonish game he did get that kind of time, it was to run the ball. I remember a number of people commenting about how he didn't look that great in the last few series against Kansas, but I remember Patterson a few steps onto the field screaming at him from the sideline "RUN THE DAMN BALL" after SR checked off one play to a pass. Everyone in the stadium knew he was either handing it off or keeping. Neither option stood a chance at that point.

I think KH got banged up pretty good in the second half. He put his head down on a few runs to get first downs and got whacked pretty good. He might not have appeared injured but OU knocked him around more than he's been this season, probably.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start but also to see SR play. Patterson has alluded to different look and different set of plays with SR, and the Frogs might have to have that now that DA is hurt. They might not be able to rely on the running game as much the last few games.

LisaLT

Bummed about the defensive players possibly being out. That isn't good. I really hope we get these two wins and make the CCG. I'll be interested to see how they play Hill and SRob down the stretch. Gotta get these two wins no matter how we do it or who plays.

jake102

No doubt that Shawn doesn't need to be totally green going into next season, which makes it odd that he didn't get more mop-up duty earlier in the year. That would've put him in a better spot if he has to start on Saturday as well.

My guess for Saturday: Kenny starts, Shawn rotates in a little more than he has (per GP's post-game comments in Norman) and throws a few, and maybe even finishes out the game if we can get it comfortably in hand. I'm sure we're banged up, but I bet GP also just wanted to throw some of that out there to give Kliff more to chew on.

Agreed. Nothing would surprise me. We get to Saturday and it's Shawn Robinson in street clothes and Kenny Hill is 100% fine. Gary says in postgame that he mixed up the names.