• The KillerFrogs

Time for Jeopardy. The subject is TCU football

finafrog

There's an old adage in the game of cricket that if you win the toss you elect to bat first; if you win the toss and there is cloudy weather and a green wicket, you think about it and then you elect to bat. It's about the same in football with the desire to get on the scoreboard first. Except that GP absolutely doesn't believe this. Hence we win the toss, we put our defense on the field; the other guy wins, he puts his offense on the field. Long may it continue.

And, yes, you're all quite welcome for the unsolicited cricket lesson.

bill belichick likes to do the same as GP (defer). an added benefit is you get the ball first in the second half. he must be an odd exception too?

in baseball, a major advantage to the home team is they batt second.

thanks for the cricket lesson.

Limey Frog

Believers in field position believe Patterson's tactics. Football is all about field position. I always want us to kick first.

Me too. I'm surprised more coaches don't think likewise. I think electing to kick the ball away is more common in football actually than deferring in cricket, which hardly ever happens. But it is certainly much more common to elect to receive.

Frog-in-law1995

Believers in field position believe Patterson's tactics. Football is all about field position. I always want us to kick first.

Is it not about field position in the second half?

You defer to get the ball first in the second half, plain and simple. If you were more worried about field position than starting the second half with the ball, you have that option if you deferred after winning the toss. But it seems we always choose to receive the second half kickoff.

MavAlbert

I think part of the reasoning is:

The extra second half possession is more valuable than the opening possession because by then you know more of the game situation, and that will affect your playcalling.

Also, he actually never chooses to kick or receive, he chooses to defer, leaving open the (admittedly near zero percent) chance that the other team elects to kick, allowing us to receive both the opening kickoff and the halftime kickoff.

Plus Gary just has a defensive mindset and likes to start that way.

tcudoc

Also, he actually never chooses to kick or receive, he chooses to defer, leaving open the (admittedly near zero percent) chance that the other team elects to kick, allowing us to receive both the opening kickoff and the halftime kickoff.
Didn't a UT captain do that very thing in one of Strong's first games as Head Coach.

Tom Brown

Is it not about field position in the second half?

You defer to get the ball first in the second half, plain and simple. If you were more worried about field position than starting the second half with the ball, you have that option if you deferred after winning the toss. But it seems we always choose to receive the second half kickoff.

And if you play it right, you get back to back possessions.