• The KillerFrogs

Practice updates......

TCURiggs

Consider me excited about this season. I've been high on the defense being MUCH improved, and I'm starting to think the OL might actually be quite a bit better and spring our offense. Throw in the positive news on Song, and I'm fired up.

Moose Stuff

Consider me excited about this season. I've been high on the defense being MUCH improved, and I'm starting to think the OL might actually be quite a bit better and spring our offense. Throw in the positive news on Song, and I'm fired up.

Count me as optimistic as well. Fingers crossed that we stay relatively healthy.

Purp

Seriously, though, I have felt like we'll be better in just about every facet of the game. The late season improvement on defense feels sustainable into this year and the potential for improvement at DT could compound that improvement for the unit as a whole.

It sounds like the dissention in offensive leadership with Meach was a real anchor for the offense. In general I think the offense will be better prepared and synchronized now that the drama has been addressed.

I'm optimistic that the OL will improve quickly with new coaching and they'll be better coordinated with the offense given the OC changes. I'm more excited about this RB group than any other I can remember at TCU. I know our WRs are talented and they can't possibly drop more balls than last year. Plus, a healthy Turp and Nixon completely changes the way you try to defend us. All of those things help KH or whoever lines up behind center.

I don't expect us to need as many clutch kicks this year as we needed last year (and didn't get), but if we can find that missing piece (sounds like GP feels better about this too) we could be a tough match-up for anybody. I'm already on record in the prediction thread for 15-0 (b/c we'll beat Baylor so badly it will count as 2 wins), but I was mostly joking. I do believe we'll finish with double digit wins, though. This is a very talented group and, with GP's track record here, I'll be surprised if it doesn't come together better this season.

Moose Stuff

Seriously, though, I have felt like we'll be better in just about every facet of the game. The late season improvement on defense feels sustainable into this year and the potential for improvement at DT could compound that improvement for the unit as a whole.

It sounds like the dissention in offensive leadership with Meach was a real anchor for the offense. In general I think the offense will be better prepared and synchronized now that the drama has been addressed.

I'm optimistic that the OL will improve quickly with new coaching and they'll be better coordinated with the offense given the OC changes. I'm more excited about this RB group than any other I can remember at TCU. I know our WRs are talented and they can't possibly drop more balls than last year. Plus, a healthy Turp and Nixon completely changes the way you try to defend us. All of those things help KH or whoever lines up behind center.

I don't expect us to need as many clutch kicks this year as we needed last year (and didn't get), but if we can find that missing piece (sounds like GP feels better about this too) we could be a tough match-up for anybody. I'm already on record in the prediction thread for 15-0 (b/c we'll beat Baylor so badly it will count as 2 wins), but I was mostly joking. I do believe we'll finish with double digit wins, though. This is a very talented group and, with GP's track record here, I'll be surprised if it doesn't come together better this season.

Lots I agree with here. I read those comments from other Big 12 coaches and spent the entire article thinking how not one of them pondered what might happen to this team with a healthy Turpin/Nixon/Lewis/Song, added depth on the DL, and improved coaching on the OL. We'll see how that all manifests itself but I'm pretty confident we're gonna be a better team.

Wexahu

The only position on the team where on paper we might slip a bit is DE. Every other position group SHOULD be improved from last year. And I'm not sure we got great play at DE last year either, so the drop off there shouldn't be huge.

Raw Frog

The only position on the team where on paper we might slip a bit is DE. Every other position group SHOULD be improved from last year. And I'm not sure we got great play at DE last year either, so the drop off there shouldn't be huge.

What has anybody heard about Overshown and Chambers? Two RS/FR big guys that should be ready to play some DE...

Wexahu

What has anybody heard about Overshown and Chambers? Two RS/FR big guys that should be ready to play some DE...

About all I've heard about any of them is that Banogu looks good. I assume Boesen will be the other starter, but I would think its going to be a little patchwork all year long and there will be heavy rotations to keep guys fresh. There's also the JUCO kid (Epsey) that probably figures in there somewhere too.

Limp Lizard

1. Less field goal tries this year...I sure hope so. We were tied for #103 for red zone touchdown percentage. Number 103! We were forced into attempting way too many field goals for a team who was not strong on field goals. I used not strong because we were tied for #68 on field goal percentage..pretty much right in the middle...very average, not up to what we were used to, but not as bad as some here seem to indicate (we made 72% of field goals, Baylor 62.5, UCLA 59.1, Texas &aggie 70.8). And not definitely good for a team that scores touchdowns only 55% of the time it reached the red zone. But we should spent as much time basting that percentage as much as the field goal kicking!
  2. I look for the OL to be better this year, but I think a lot of this being just due to the coaching change is a bit much. Mostly it is because many here don't like Anderson, no matter what he is coaching. He was also the OL coach in 2014 and 2015, when the OL was pretty damn good. Thomsen is a Frog and was a very successful head coach at ACU, and is very experienced, but I don't see all that much objective evidence that he is so superior, except that he is not Anderson. If he is that good, but not because he is not Anderson, but because he is a really great OL coach, then we should have a good offense this year...but only if the QB play is much better.

ScottPatrick

I thought I read that he may have retired from football due to injury? Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, which I could be. Thought I saw that, though... don't think I'm confusing him with Mayes.

Hadn't seen an announcement and was wondering. He helped out at the last summer camp but noticed he was no longer on the roster. Depth at center could be a real question with Morris and Schlottmann having to work double-duty most of the time. Hunter Harris also listed at center and assume Hollins may get a shot.

Wexahu

1. Less field goal tries this year...I sure hope so. We were tied for #103 for red zone touchdown percentage. Number 103! We were forced into attempting way too many field goals for a team who was not strong on field goals. I used not strong because we were tied for #68 on field goal percentage..pretty much right in the middle...very average, not up to what we were used to, but not as bad as some here seem to indicate (we made 72% of field goals, Baylor 62.5, UCLA 59.1, Texas &aggie 70.8). And not definitely good for a team that scores touchdowns only 55% of the time it reached the red zone. But we should spent as much time basting that percentage as much as the field goal kicking!
  2. I look for the OL to be better this year, but I think a lot of this being just due to the coaching change is a bit much. Mostly it is because many here don't like Anderson, no matter what he is coaching. He was also the OL coach in 2014 and 2015, when the OL was pretty damn good. Thomsen is a Frog and was a very successful head coach at ACU, and is very experienced, but I don't see all that much objective evidence that he is so superior, except that he is not Anderson. If he is that good, but not because he is not Anderson, but because he is a really great OL coach, then we should have a good offense this year...but only if the QB play is much better.

OL recruiting has been a bigger problem than OL coaching in my opinion. Yes, at times we haven't been that good but they've held their own and we haven't landed any top level recruits at OL until this past year with Harris.

Hughes Your Daddy

Purp, I never heard much in terms of dissension with offensive leadership. What was that all about? Were there struggles between Meach and Cumbie, or just no real focal point for the players to look towards with two co-OC's at the helm, plus a Patterson to please? Just curious to get your take.