• The KillerFrogs

TCU Student Dies in Jet Ski Crash

Chongo94

Was wondering when this would show up...have a buddy who is good friends with the TCU student. Sad stuff. I grew up on a lake. Rarely ever did we go out on it at night on jet skis or in the boat and if we did, it was super slow always.

Moose Stuff

Was wondering when this would show up...have a buddy who is good friends with the TCU student. Sad stuff. I grew up on a lake. Rarely ever did we go out on it at night on jet skis or in the boat and if we did, it was super slow always.

Yep. Darkness + water + going fast = awful combination. Especially if a 4th factor is involved. Jose Fernandez learned that lesson.

f_399

So tragic. Had their whole lives ahead of them.

Are there laws on how late you can be on a boat or jet ski? I have never seen a jet ski with head lights so I just figured no one would ever use them after sunset. Some small boats may have navigation tools but rarely do I see them on a jet ski.

Did they hit each other or struck another boat or something else in the water?

helcap

So tragic. Had their whole lives ahead of them.

Are there laws on how late you can be on a boat or jet ski? I have never seen a jet ski with head lights so I just figured no one would ever use them after sunset. Some small boats may have navigation tools but rarely do I see them on a jet ski.

Did they hit each other or struck another boat or something else in the water?
The article states that investigators believe they hit a boat dock

f_399

Damn.

You literally have to know the area like the back of your hand to even try to ride a boat/jetski at night.

Are boat docks required to have any form of warning lights?

jtgofrogs

We have a Boat House on Richland Chambers Lake and you must have a light shining on the Boat House when Dark or will be ticketed for this reason so Boaters can see there is a Boat House

Holy crap. Yeah, these by things should never be rode at night. I grew up on these things and probably did some really stupid things but once sunset hit it was time load in. They are fun but incredibly dangerous just by their very nature. This is awful and senseless.

BABYFACE

While I might have done some boating at night(fishing or coming back from a lakeside restaurant), lights were always on and preceded with caution. Night and fast is a bad combo. I have never or considered riding Jet Ski's and other like craft at night.

Mean Purple

Damn.

You literally have to know the area like the back of your hand to even try to ride a boat/jetski at night.

Are boat docks required to have any form of warning lights?
Not sure. Can't remember. I do remember that, if the laws are still the same, you need running lights on a boat. However, those are not all that powerful. But if you are running watercraft at night, it should be a boat, going slow and run a spot light, or something close. And stay in the middle of the channel.

Sad story. Their families are going through something so bad now. Prayers for all.

HoustonHornedFrog

Not sure. Can't remember. I do remember that, if the laws are still the same, you need running lights on a boat. However, those are not all that powerful. But if you are running watercraft at night, it should be a boat, going slow and run a spot light, or something close. And stay in the middle of the channel.

Sad story. Their families are going through something so bad now. Prayers for all.

To operate at night, boats have to have running lights so they can be seen, but they don't have to have anything like headlights, which help you see where you are going. Jetskis are not legal to operate at night. See http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/

BABYFACE

Besides running lights, I always used my spotlight. Most boats are equipped with one. I couldn't imaging going anywhere on a lake in the dark without a spotlight.

Mean Purple

To operate at night, boats have to have running lights so they can be seen, but they don't have to have anything like headlights, which help you see where you are going. Jetskis are not legal to operate at night. See http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/
I was wondering how they handle jet skis, since there are not running lights.

My guess is the students knew the lake well and did not think they were going that far. Sad situation.

f_399

My guess is they went to that place/house by jetski during the day thinking they would leave before sunset. It was past midnight, they should have just slept at least until sunrise.

I don't think anyone plans to use a jet ski as a mode of transportation after dark.