• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's Patterson embraces new path to Big 12 title

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU's Patterson embraces new path to Big 12 title

BY JIMMY BURCH
jburch@star-telegram.com

For the first time since TCU joined the Big 12, the Horned Frogs will have a chance to secure a football title by winning a conference championship game in December.

The season-ending showdown at AT&T Stadium in Arlington will be a guaranteed rematch of a regular-season contest, a novel twist on a concept created years ago to match divisional winners from within the same league.

But in the division-free Big 12, the 2017 season will unfold with the chance that a team could win all nine of its conference games yet flub its title hopes with a loss in Jerry World to the second-place finisher from the final league standings.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article161360893.html

Frog DJ

I have always admired CGP's no-excuses approach, and this is yet another sterling example.

Essentially he is saying, "Here are the the things that must be done, and if you don't do them - don't whine."

Go Frogs!

Froginbedford

In a scenario with Oklahoma State and TCU 12-0 and 11-1 on the regular season, with TCU winning the play-in game, and both ending the year at 12-1, is there a single Big 12 champion (in this case TCU for winning the extra game), or are the two co-champions, ending the conference play each with effectively 9-1 conference records, but the conference certifying to the Gang of 13 that TCU is the conference playoff candidate? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've slept most nights....

Big Frog II

In a scenario with Oklahoma State and TCU 12-0 and 11-1 on the regular season, with TCU winning the play-in game, and both ending the year at 12-1, is there a single Big 12 champion (in this case TCU for winning the extra game), or are the two co-champions, ending the conference play each with effectively 9-1 conference records, but the conference certifying to the Gang of 13 that TCU is the conference playoff candidate? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've slept most nights....
Whoever wins the conference championship game is the champion, period.

Opintel

Moderators
Yup, those are the current rules. Win the B12 Chumpionship, or, go to a different bowl, not the final four thingy.

A truly dumb way to do things. Just frick'n expand, and to hell with all that other stuff.

Froginbedford

Whoever wins the conference championship game is the champion, period.

OK...just one more reason for me not to like this new format....It's all about the Benjamins, I know, but the regular season is relegated to less importance as a result, even if it should be TCU winning the championship game...basketball and baseball seem to recognize regular season championship as well as conference tournament champions....

GoFrog Yourself

The Big 12 Championship game is going to cost us a team in the CFP this year. Mark my word.

Adding a championship game with there being 10 teams was so stupidly moronic. Our conference officially has the most difficult path to the CFP.
If not this year it will eventually. Hardest thing to do in football is beat a team twice in one season

ifrog

Whoever wins the B12 championship will have earned it. Yes it's arguably the most difficult path to the CFP. But people like Boren and the media perpetuated the narrative that the B12 was disadvantaged. If TCU is fortunate enough to make it to the B12 championship game what is there to complain about? I will take that any day no matter the outcome.

Endless Purple

The Big 12 Championship game is going to cost us a team in the CFP this year. Mark my word.

Adding a championship game with there being 10 teams was so stupidly moronic. Our conference officially has the most difficult path to the CFP.
I believe this is understated.

I expect the Big 12 will have a team that is 9-0 facing a team that is 7-2. The 7-2 team will win the rematch and be champion at 8-2 while the 9-1 team is not given a title with a split head to head.

Wexahu

Pretty much. So dumb that grown men, decades in their football professions, (claim they) cannot make a judgement as to which team they think is better to the point you have to add a conference championship game when the conference has already produced a champion!

The round robin format doesn't produce a "champion" unless a team finishes with a better record than everyone else. Go check the history books of conferences prior to the advent of split division leagues. All co-champions claimed a conference title. A head-to-head tiebreaker is a terrible, contrived way to produce a champion, it's used because it's the simplest way to do it in circumstances where playing another game isn't possible.

Producing one champion isn't important, and conference championships, regardless of how you interpreted what the CFP says, matter very little. This game was added to make money and beef up the resume of our best teams. It makes some sense, but a better way to do it would've been to ban all FCS games and start from there and see how it plays out.

MTfrog5

Makes me laugh that the Big 12 has a championship game again after getting screwed more than a couple times in the BCS era from upsets, while the big 10 didn't have a championship game and didn't have to play that extra game

HG73

OK...just one more reason for me not to like this new format....It's all about the Benjamins, I know, but the regular season is relegated to less importance as a result, even if it should be TCU winning the championship game...basketball and baseball seem to recognize regular season championship as well as conference tournament champions....

Regular season champs will claim a regular season championship, just like basketball and baseball. Just wait.