• The KillerFrogs

Tracy Syler-Jones

JurisFrog

She is the vice chancellor for marketing and communication. Keeping TCU from embarassing itself publicly is her JOB. She spoke briefly at the press conference, she was obviously in the loop.

Why would she allow this to happen?

Did she tell the chancellor this would be a media firestorm and an embarrassment to the university on a national scale?

Did she take the time to make sure Boschini was perfectly prepared for his statement? (he looked very out of the loop at times)

Did she take the time to review Chief McGee's moronic, overblown statement?

Did she make sure the statements were reviewed by lawyers?

Did she work to make sure the media knew that less than a pound of pot was being sold?

Did she work to keep the media from overblowing the story? (they did)

Did she work to make sure that TCU did not exaggerate the story? (we did)

This is an embarassment of the highest order, and I think she also has some responsibility.

She is the vice chancellor for marketing and communication. Keeping TCU from embarassing itself publicly is her JOB. She spoke briefly at the press conference, she was obviously in the loop.

Did she tell the chancellor this would be a media firestorm and an embarrassment to the university on a national scale?

Did she take the time to make sure Boschini was perfectly prepared for his statement? (he looked very out of the loop at times)

Did she take the time to review Chief McGee's moronic, overblown, and potentially defamatory statement?

Did she work to make sure the media knew that less than a pound of pot was being sold?

This is an embarassment of the highest order, and I think she also has some responsibility.

Wow, didn't realize that the job of vice chancelor required god-like skills.

The vast majority of people think TCU did an excellent job handling this. I guess since it wasn't perfect, its a failure. Good thing everything you do is perfect in every way.

So easy to sit back and throw stones at those who actually do the work.

JurisFrog

Wow, didn't realize that the job of vice chancelor required god-like skills.

The vast majority of people think TCU did an excellent job handling this. I guess since it wasn't perfect, its a failure. Good thing everything you do is perfect in every way.

So easy to sit back and throw stones at those who actually do the work.

I think the vast majority of people understand this is a PR disaster.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but I do expect our communications director to keep TCU from becoming Reefer U.

NativeFrog

Did she take the time to review Chief McGee's moronic, overblown statement?

Uncalled for slam. You have no idea what Tracy's role in all of this was and is. She very well could have been overruled on suggestions as to how to handle every situation you address in your post. Like Frognosticator said in his post, "So easy to sit back and throw stones at those who actually do the work."

hometown frog

Not sure the VC has much control over what VicBo of Chief Mcgee were going to say. You'd hope they would take input from the PR staff, but they way this came down I'm guessing they hit it hard and hit it early and didn't allow much time for write/re-write loops

I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but I do expect our communications director to keep TCU from becoming Reefer U.

Well maybe you should read the articles from national newspapers and columnists instead of listening to your Aggie and Longhorn coworkers who are teasing you since we lost 3 starters from the football team.

This is not a PR disaster. Nation-wide praise is going to the TCU administration for their handling of this.

Which would mean that that either a) she gave them even worse advice or b) they have zero confidence in her ability/suggestions.

Right.

I have to believe she's not a complete idiot. My interactions with her when I was in school left me pretty impressed. No PR professional would give them any advice to handle things worse than they did. I understand defending your school and getting mad at people that keep laying into them, but this was truly pathetic from a PR perspective.

My guess is that B is true, and that CVB got cocky and thought he knew what he was doing. That or he got completely intimidated by the potential size of this debacle and caved to the authorities stance.

This is not a PR disaster. Nation-wide praise is going to the TCU administration for their handling of this.

The headlines ran with what TCU knew to be incorrect info. The brand has been tarnished. That alone makes this a disaster.

The fact that we had the "only 5" info and didn't release it during the firestorm on Wednesday is proof that they were caught with their pants down. Which story ran as the lead? And which story isn't even getting picked up? It's their job to control the news as much as possible, and they didn't.

Taking the stage with the PD idiots making sensational statements in front of a TCU logo about kids that are innocent until proven guilty was a joke. It was an embarrassment to TCU and law enforcement everywhere.

We're getting credit for making accusations that very well may not be true, and some of which we already know are not true. I don't have a problem with kicking the 4 off the team and expelling the others. I have a problem with the way we completely ignored any opportunity to decrease the impact on the TCU brand.

This was not only a learning experience for the kids, but also the admin. I just hope we handle things better next time around.

jake102

We're getting credit for making accusations that very well may not be true, and some of which we already know are not true. I don't have a problem with kicking the 4 off the team and expelling the others.

I can't wait to see what happens when a few of them get off on a technicality or are found innocent.

froginaustin

I can't wait to see what happens when a few of them get off on a technicality or are found innocent.

You mean like the Carpenter kid from Dallas, that the undercover cop swore was someone he bought dope from, who got national online pub as one of the bad actors, who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this other than being publicly accused of being guilty of a crime?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You mean like the Carpenter kid from Dallas, that the undercover cop swore was someone he bought dope from, who got national online pub as one of the bad actors, who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this other than being publicly accused of being guilty of a crime?

If any of these go to trial (and they won't), that alone will crush him as a witness.

The worst thing is, it doesn't matter. Whether they get off or not, these kids lives are ruined.

spoiledguineafrog

^THIS! i couldn't agree more. i don't know that it's fair to place all the blame on TSJ, but i do know we are definitely the laughing stock of town right now. i went to trivia night yesterday and they dedicated an entire round to TCU - identify song titles and artists - and they were all about getting high. team names included "Texas Crackhouse University," "I Didn't Know Whitney Houston Went to TCU," "Stoned Frogs" and so on. holy hell was that embarrassing.

YA

The headlines ran with what TCU knew to be incorrect info. The brand has been tarnished. That alone makes this a disaster.

The fact that we had the "only 5" info and didn't release it during the firestorm on Wednesday is proof that they were caught with their pants down. Which story ran as the lead? And which story isn't even getting picked up? It's their job to control the news as much as possible, and they didn't.

Taking the stage with the PD idiots making sensational statements in front of a TCU logo about kids that are innocent until proven guilty was a joke. It was an embarrassment to TCU and law enforcement everywhere.

We're getting credit for making accusations that very well may not be true, and some of which we already know are not true. I don't have a problem with kicking the 4 off the team and expelling the others. I have a problem with the way we completely ignored any opportunity to decrease the impact on the TCU brand.

This was not only a learning experience for the kids, but also the admin. I just hope we handle things better next time around.
EXACTLY!!!!

People tend to defend to the death what is dear to them. That stance at times can cloud the perspective of what truly happened in real time.